Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
The digital shopping experience on the DSi is notoriously slow and clunky, with lengthy waits accompanying most screen transitions. Nintendo is going to be making some fixes for the 3DS version of the shop.

During an investors briefing today, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata showed a demonstration video for the 3DS shopping channel. You can view the clip for yourself in this video from the event by forwarding to the 40 minute mark.

As explained by Iwata during the demonstration, the shop interface is split into categories, which he referred to as racks. These racks contain software corresponding to a theme -- for example, "Mario Games."

Select a rack, and you're instantly taken into a list of games available on the rack. Iwata noted that the transitions between screens is quick. You can see this for yourself in the video feed.

Different from the sales-only DSi Shop, the 3DS shop blends sales an promotions in one. Iwata explained that it's like combining Wii Shopping Channel with the Nintendo Channel. The latter has videos, demos and information about games.

In the 3DS shop, when you select a game, you're given the option of viewing info about the game, viewing streaming movies, reading user opinions, and even downloading a demo. You can also jump directly to the game's home page. As shown at the Nintendo Conference last month, the 3DS is capable of quickly transitioning into its web browser.

Iwata did not say if the demo option would be available all games. Such a move would be a dramatic shift for Nintendo, which has made available demos for just a few of its WiiWare download games.

The shop will also organize games based off recent releases and popularity, and will include search functionality. The reason for making all this effort to smoothen the digital shopping experience, explained Iwata, is to promote digital sales. It looks like with the 3DS Nintendo plans on making an even bigger push for direct download games.

event video

source

Too long to bother watching, but I'm glad they are changing the interface. The only shop made me feel... "lonely"...

Yeah, the DSi shop is kinda sucky.. I still haven't used my 1000 free points yet from day 1. :/

That's some good news..

Back