In your opinion, what's the most overrated anime?

anorexorcist

Full GL Member
Credits
We all have different opinions when it comes to anime, there's an almost infinite quantity of them so it's completely understandable that people don't always agree when it comes to decide what's the better or what's the worse one.
Personally, I never really understood all the hype for Naruto, I mean, I tried watching it one or maybe two times, and is not a bad one, but I think that I just didn't get it completely.
So how about you, in your opinion, what's the most overrated anime?

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

I couldn't even finish it.

Love Live! and all other idol animes in general. They appeal to me even less than K-on!

That would be Sword Art Online in my opinion. It's enjoyable show but somehow, people been thinking it's super great anime. The first part is nice if they actually completed it based on the light novel. But they rushed it. The second arc isn't that great, I just couldn't stand the villain. He's just too villainous and just exist there to be a villain. I know it's his part but it felt like there's not much in his character.

There are too many to count. I agree with the SAO mention, but I haven't yet watched Haruhi. Also the only reason I kept watching Naruto for so long (until the war arc in shippuuden) is the nostalgia factor, because I used to watch it when I was a kid with my brother. I used to get this feeling of peaceful nostalgia free of worries whenever I watched an episode of Naruto, not anymore though. As the story progressed I realized how bad the show actually was. I understand why it's (or was) popular, but I don't think it's overrated necessarily. Most people give it average ratings. Kyoukai no Kanata on the other hand is actually overrated in my opinion. As are a lot of KyoAni's productions. I just don't get it. While I like their animation style especially because it looks so fluid, I don't get why even the bad shows they produce get great ratings.

Haruhi, old Evangelion TV show (THE most overrated), Cowboy Bebop (never got immersed into it), Gundam Wing, Pokemon (could not force myself to watch it, even as a kid). I mean I kinda get why these shows are liked and popular, perhaps I saw them at a time when I wasn't in the mood for such themes and couldn't quite connect.

Haruhi, old Evangelion TV show (THE most overrated), Cowboy Bebop (never got immersed into it), Gundam Wing, Pokemon (could not force myself to watch it, even as a kid). I mean I kinda get why these shows are liked and popular, perhaps I saw them at a time when I wasn't in the mood for such themes and couldn't quite connect.

whats wrong with Gundam wing?

I think Death Note is supremely overrated.. I kind of enjoyed the first half, but it was average at best. Quite cliche too, to be honest. And the second half is just not good! Too long and they killed off my favourite character in the first half anyways (No spoilers :p).

Our opinions are different, I enjoyed most of the animes listed above. For me it'd be Kuroko no Basket. It starts off very well, but it get repetitive so quickly! I couldn't finish 2nd season, because it was basically the same thing over and over.

I agree Naruto was certainly over rated in my opinion but I'll give credit where credit is due. It did have a strong finish when Naruto fought that Saske when they were kids. That was great story telling but after wards it just seemed to tank plot wise with far too confusing move sets for me to understand. Now maybe for the fan base it built that was awesome but if the casual viewer saw that they would walk out of the room my friend. So no offense but maybe if they simplified the fighting it would be more appealing but I just can't believe this title is still on going.

I really wish Dragon Ball would be this way instead of taking rest periods cause fans want Akira to be involved all the time.

For me, I think Naruto is also an overrated anime and also too many flashbacks which makes you lose interest about the series.

Back