Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
gVATALZ.jpg

The Intel NUC6i7KYK code-named “Skull Canyon” is a tiny desktop with a 45 watt, quad-core Intel Core i7-6770HQ processor and Intel iris Pro 580 graphics.

It’s coming in May for about $650 and up.

The computer measures about 8.5″ x 4.6″ x 0.9″ which makes it about as wide and tall as a typical Intel NUC computer, but about twice as long. The extra space is pu to good use though.

In addition to the powerful processor, the system supports up to 32GB of 2133 MHz memory, has two M.2 slots for solid state storage, features 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth, Gigabit Ethernet, a headset jack, and a range of ports, including:

Read More

This looks like one fast mini PC. I like the design. I think this would be a good PC for Steam OS, or Windows Mini-Gaming PC.

I like the case design of this Mini-PC.

It looks like Intel is spending more time on gaming, and releasing more PCs and console-sized computers which can play games at medium to high video quality settings.

Many buyers who are buying new PCs and PC parts are Gamers who want a PC which is good for playing most of their favorite games.

I think the buyers of average speed Intel and AMD desktops, and laptops which are only good for web browsing, office work, and watching video is becoming smaller. More people are using Google Chromebooks with mobile CPUs like the Nvidia Tegra K1 and Samsung Mobile ARM chips, older and cheaper Windows and Linux tablets and laptops, Tablets like iPad and Nvidia Shield tablet, and bigger screen smartphones.

But, many people who play games like League of Legends, Dota 2, Crysis, Counter Strike, etc still are buying faster computers, and upgrades for their computer, so they can have more fun by playing games at faster frame rates, and better video quality settings like Medium-High, High, and Ultra High.

I'm looking forward to see if AMD will come out with something similar...

I remember AMD having a Gaming Tablet with a controller case which they displayed at a tech convention. But, they did not have plans to release it to the public.

I think AMD just makes CPUs, and video cards, and don't make mini computers like the Compute Stick, NUC, and Skull Canyon Mini PC like Intel which makes CPUs with integrated graphics chips, and other types of hardware like SSD, wi-fi chips, and more.

I remember AMD having a Gaming Tablet with a controller case which they displayed at a tech convention. But, they did not have plans to release it to the public.

I think AMD just makes CPUs, and video cards, and don't make mini computers like the Compute Stick, NUC, and Skull Canyon Mini PC like Intel which makes CPUs with integrated graphics chips, and other types of hardware like SSD, wi-fi chips, and more.
And that's why they're always on second place. As an AMD fan, I'm kind of annoyed by their lack of involvement in the competition against Intel.

And that's why they're always on second place. As an AMD fan, I'm kind of annoyed by their lack of involvement in the competition against Intel.

It can be somewhat risky for AMD to become a computer and device manufacturer like Intel which releases Intel branded pre-built PCs. If not enough buyers buy AMD pre-built computers and devices, AMD will have a lot of unsold computers and devices which they may need to sell for less money, and possibly lose a lot of money.

AMD is not as popular as Intel, Dell, HP, Apple, and other big companies, so there is a chance not enough people will buy their devices if AMD decides to release any devices.

But, I feel AMD needs to find alternative ways to find AMD fans by innovating because mobile chips made by Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Apple are becoming more powerful, so there is a risk of Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Apple selling a lot more chips than AMD, and AMD not earning enough money from selling chips anymore because Nvidia, Qualcomm, Apple, and Intel are better at using advertisements the public to buy non-AMD chips made by Nvidia, Qualcomm, Apple, and Intel.

Back