Intel changing the name of its Core CPUs?

cm2

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
read from tweaktown:

a leak of an Intel processor via the Ashes of the Singularity benchmark database, an 18-thread CPU with the name 'Core Ultra 5 1003H', apparently switching the Core i5 naming scheme with Core Ultra 5.

At the time, it wasn't clear whether this might just be a different codename used for an engineering sample chip, but now, as VideoCardz points out, Bernard Fernandes, who is Intel's Director of Global Communications, has tweeted on the subject.

This doesn't directly reference the leak, or confirm that the Core Ultra 5 branding is what's incoming from Intel, but it's a reasonable enough assumption to read into this that this is what's happening.

We're told by another leaker, SquashBionic, that the 'Ultra' label may not apply to all incoming CPUs from Intel this year - which will purportedly be a mix of Meteor Lake and Raptor Lake refresh silicon - so only some will have the new branding slapped on them. Maybe.

I feel using the word ultra in Intel CPU brand sounds more catchy than using i like i5, and i7.

So they are dropping the 'i' confirmed:

INTEL-CORE-BRAND-UPDATE-9-768x432.jpg

INTEL-CORE-BRAND-UPDATE-7.jpg

I think Ultra being printed on faster processors would make it easier to recognize the faster CPU from the CPU which are not as fast.

Back