Intel says newer chips also experience sudden reboots after Meltdown-Spectre fixes

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Intel explained everything in a new press release. The company said that its firmware updates are out for 90% of Intel processors produced in the past five years, but it still has “more work to do.”

“While the firmware updates are effective at mitigating exposure to the security issues, customers have reported more frequent reboots on firmware updated systems,” Intel’s Navin Shenoy wrote. “As part of this, we have determined that similar behavior occurs on other products in some configurations, including Ivy Bridge-, Sandy Bridge-, Skylake-, and Kaby Lake-based platforms. We have reproduced these issues internally and are making progress toward identifying the root cause. In parallel, we will be providing beta microcode to vendors for validation by next week.”

In other words, it’s likely that Intel will issue further updates to fix things. Or so we hope.

Intel says newer chips also experience sudden reboots after Meltdown-Spectre fixes

If you want a reliable computer, it is best to buy a PC with an AMD CPU. I feel people who are experiencing random reboots after installing fixes for Spectre and Meltdown are now very mad. They want a secure PC, but they don't want their PC to be slower and unreliable.

I wonder will there be many lawsuits from Intel users who sue for a refund, and lost of data if the sudden reboots destroy their unsaved data because they don't use auto-save in MS Word Word Processor, or auto-save did not save work before the computer randomly reboots. In rare cases, a random reboot may cause a hard drive to break if the hard drive, or lose saved data.

You really have to wonder how they could make such a faulty CPU setup. It's clear they really need to remake it from the ground up.

You really have to wonder how they could make such a faulty CPU setup. It's clear they really need to remake it from the ground up.

I think they may have not fully tested a CPU for security vulnerabilities before releasing it.

Back