Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Intel's new Extreme Edition of its regular Core i7 chip has 10 cores, each running at up to 3.5GHz for a not so low price of $1,700 USD.

PC World reports that the new Broadwell-E gaming chips—or Core i7-6950X Extreme Edition, will run at 3GHz with a boost mode that ups the speed to 3.5GHz. The chip has 25MB of onboard cache and Intel’s Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0, which means you could probably overclock it to 3.8GHz if desired.

Intel claims that the chip stats will render 4K video and games 25 percent faster than the previous top-line i7-5960X chip, and render 3D content 35 percent faster. It’s essentially the most powerful desktop chip you can buy from Intel right now. The price may be an issue for you, specially only at a 25 to 35 percent increase, if desired there are cheaper variants such as 8 cores which will cost you $1,000 USD to a smaller 6 cores that will run you $600 USD.

Intel's new CPU sounds like one fast CPU. I bet, it probably need a powerful cooling fan to keep it running at a cool temperature.

Most likely, but I question if the boost is worth the money.

I think the boost may not be worth the money for the most users, or gamer who plays games on a 1080P HD monitor. I think spending the money on a better video card, and more RAM would be more worth it.

It maybe worth it for someone who runs a lot of virtual machines, large databases, and other big programs on a computer or server.

Back