Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
While Apple is saying 'no thanks' to Flash and 'yes please' to HTML 5, Microsoft is happy to support both, announcing Internet Explorer 9, their next generation of web browser and its souped-up HTML5 capabilities.

IE9 adds support for a number of HTML5 specifications including H.264 and MP3 codecs, CSS3, scalable vector graphics, and a JavaScript engine that makes use of multi-core processing. The browser will also take advantage of hardware-acceleration through graphics cards.

Additionally, Microsoft is rolling out a new feedback system which will allow developers to track and comment on the code being used in IE9 until it reaches its beta stage.

You can check out the new features right now, even if you're not using Internet Explorer, by going to the Test Drive page, where they have graphics and formatting demos set up with examples of what the HTML5 coding looks like.

test drive page

more here

what does it take to kill this browser?

I think IE will always be around since it is one of Microsoft "Bread and Butter" software. It's default homepage is set to MSN or someother MS website. Plus, I doubt MS will load Firefox, Chrome, or Opera onto any version of Windows it produces now or in the future. People still need to find a way to download Firefox, Chrome, or Opera via a browser.

The only alternative is to use an FTP or browser download program to download a copy of FF, Chrome, or Opera which is a hassle.

MS really should change the name since the numbering scheme is getting kind of old. It would be weird to see an IE 20 in 11 years.

I hate Internet Explorer. I think it is pointless. Firefox is the best, then Google Chrome.

Back