Is a SD Card Reader important to you when buying or building a Desktop PC or Laptop?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I mainly use a external USB SD Card readers on a computer, or plug my stuff with a SD card like a phone, tablet, and camera into a USB port, so an internal SD Card reader is not as important to me, but nice to have.

Nice to have but not a deal break to me. Though I can't say I haven't seen any PCs/laptops these days that didn't have them on it.

I mainly use a external USB SD Card readers on a computer, or plug my stuff with a SD card like a phone, tablet, and camera into a USB port, so an internal SD Card reader is not as important to me, but nice to have.
All my devices use microSD, and for $5 I got a USB reader for it (it's like smaller than my thumb) so that's what I use! :)

All my devices use microSD, and for $5 I got a USB reader for it (it's like smaller than my thumb) so that's what I use! :)

I also got a cheap MicroSD card reader which I got for a few dollars. It also has a string on the end, so I can attach it to my keychain.

a shame, but you can get a universal adapter for like $10.

Most devices like cameras, tablets, smartphones, and MP3 players also let you connect it to a PC to transfer files with a Micro-USB cable, and also charge the device if it supports USB charging. A lot of basic users may not even need a universal adapter.

I also feel taking the card in and out of a device like a camera, and smartphone will break the memory card slot if you take out the card too often because of static electricity, and the spring and door on the SD card readers on phones and tablets does not seem durable.

There are also cameras which let you transfer photos, and other files with the camera's Wi-Fi signal, and with a USB cable, so for casual users, the SD card reader is not needed. There are also cameras with a built-in USB plug, so you can plug the camera directly into a USB port to transfer files, and charge your device if the device charges over USB.

Most Android smartphone and tablets users probably use a USB cable to transfer files between a phone and a PC, or use a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth file sharing app to share files on the same wi-fi or Bluetooth network.

I sometime use a card reader, I may take a bunch of photos one day and then decide that I want to get then on my computer later on but don't want to turn the camera on. Also I could take photos all day and got more than one card that I need to get the photos off.

Doesn't bother me. They aren't as widely used as things like CD's/DVD's and I can buy an external SD card reader for relatively cheap.

A lot of mainstream users these days are using their smartphones, and tablets to take photos and videos, and maybe using SD cards less often since phones like the iPhone don't have a SD card. I think most phone users rarely take out the SD card because the SD card slot is sometimes blocked by the phone's case door, or a protective phone case.

Phone users who take photos mostly use social networking apps like Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube to share their photos, and back them up to social networking server, and the 10GB or more free storage space which Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, and other online storage services use them.

There are also smartphone file manager apps which let you easily transfer files between a phone and PC by using the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection. Computer backup file programs can be set to backup external drives found on phones and tablets as well when they are connected by USB to the PC.

Back