Is anyone else really glad Nintendo exists and still makes games?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I have to say I am. Because let's face it, Nintendo seems to be the only company in the industry that actually cares about innovation and catering to more than one audience.

I suspect if they ever quit making games, the industry would probably kill itself due to its obsession with technology and willingness to make the exact same games til it bankrupts them. Hell, I guess if the Wii wasn't created, no one else probably would have even thought to try motion controls and the industry would have basically stayed like it was in the pS2 era for eternity (albeit with better graphics).

And without Nintendo making their games to appeal to families and other audiences, I bet the rest of the industry would mainly just make games for teens and immature adults.

So is anyone else glad Nintendo exists and makes games for those reasons?

I'm glad they exist for that reason and because they're the main industry that seems to continue with cartoonish games which I am a huge fan of compared to realistic looks. Let's just say, if Sega lived and Nintendo died out, imagine our libraries now...

Well, I think the fact that this site is about Nintendo answers your question. Most of us wouldn't be here if we weren't glad Nintendo exists. Obviously, I am, and for the reasons you pointed out. Without Nintendo, who knows what games would be like today.

yes very much nintendo is the best gaming industry ive seen other than square enix along with final fantasy games heros of ruin so yes if nintendo didnt exist i wouldent be as prosporous as i am now getting 10 dollars every day so 10 X 320=3200 dollars a year :grin:

I'm actually the target audience of Sony and Microsoft, and the only Nintendo product I own is the Gamecube... I'd be unaffected if Nintendo went bankrupt.

Nintendo has been and remains my favorite gaming industry. I've never owned a system that wasn't Nintendo (excluding Steam), and I'm proud of that fact. I may play non-Nintendo games with friends, but in my dorm room, Nintendo reigns supreme. If they were to go bankrupt, I'd switch to full-on Steam, but seeing as I'm a Mac user, I'd be severely restricted in what I played. Nintendo has always amazed me with gameplay, music, oftentimes plot, and I'll continue to love them as long as they do so.

I wouldn't say Nintendo is the only company, but I'm definitely glad they're still around to make aweshum gaems.

Holy christ, that was an incredibly biased and offensive post to people who enjoy more than just Nintendo games.

I'll have to agree.

Let's face it, people. The industry does not depend on Nintendo AT ALL. If Nintendo quit making games, only the young kids and "family gamers" would be affected. The gaming industry is FOR teens and "immature adults," and the companies targeting that audience are the ones doing it right. Nintendo has been chasing cars since they rolled out the Wii, and are on track to go bankrupt.

Well, I'll agree that Ninty isn't the only company, and that if they went bankrupt, it wouldn't be the end of videos games. Even if the other companies are more targeted at teens and immature adults, that's a large audience their catering, and they'll pay a heck load of money for their games.

I am, however very happy Nintendo exists, 'cause I honestly probably wouldn't have even started playing video games had it not been for them. The NES was the first game console I played, and since then I've played every home-console they've made,(Okay haven't gotten a Wii-U yet, but I shall at some point) Nintendo really stands alone in what they do, they've got something that a 2 year old kid all the way up to a 60 year old will play.(I actually know a 60 year old lady that has a 3DS)

Nintendo's one of the biggest gaming companies out there, so I do think they've made an impact in the gaming industry, and that if they hadn't existed, that the industry would be a little different, but I'm a fan of them, so some could say the same about the other big companies their a fan of.

So yes, I am still glad Nintendo exists and is still making games, I love their style, so to say, and they shall all ways have a special place under my TV and hooked up to the power outlet in my wall. ;)

Well, I think the fact that this site is about Nintendo answers your question. Most of us wouldn't be here if we weren't glad Nintendo exists. Obviously, I am, and for the reasons you pointed out. Without Nintendo, who knows what games would be like today.

I completely agree.

After all, they have been around since the late 1800's (As a playing card company, no there was NO mario and Donkey Kong back then! But they ARE the OLDEST video game company to have existed!)

386th Post

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it wouldnt be that much different then how it is now. I like games on nintendo consoles they just seem to have a special spark I'm glad nintendo is still a gaming company but if they ever went bankrupt and stopped making games the gaming industry would take a big hit.

Holy christ, that was an incredibly biased and offensive post to people who enjoy more than just Nintendo games.

I'll have to agree.

Let's face it, people. The industry does not depend on Nintendo AT ALL. If Nintendo quit making games, only the young kids and "family gamers" would be affected. The gaming industry is FOR teens and "immature adults," and the companies targeting that audience are the ones doing it right. Nintendo has been chasing cars since they rolled out the Wii, and are on track to go bankrupt.

I'll have to agree.

This.

Sure, I would probably miss Zelda and Mario, but I'd be sadder if SE went bankrupt, or 5 LEVEL or Sony or Aeria or Eyesoft or..

Yea, you made it sound like gaming would cease to exist if it wasn't for Nintendo.

Let's not forget you pointed out that Nintendo's share prices were at an all-time low just a few months ago, and they haven't done anything significant to reverse that. Notice how Nintendo is suffering and the industry is not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not forget you pointed out that Nintendo's share prices were at an all-time low just a few months ago, and they haven't done anything significant to reverse that. Notice how Nintendo is suffering and the industry is not...

Hey! That's not Nintendo's fault! Just because their shares are based off their business potential! I mean like gosh. Haven't you noticed how Nintendo is making new unique games such as New Super Mario Bros 2 and New Super Mario Bros U, and that outside Nintendo you have the same game being remade 1000 times over like Dark Souls, or Dishonored or all those indie PC games that are all the same thing over and over?

Hey! That's not Nintendo's fault! Just because their shares are based off their business potential! I mean like gosh. Haven't you noticed how Nintendo is making new unique games such as New Super Mario Bros 2 and New Super Mario Bros U, and that outside Nintendo you have the same game being remade 1000 times over like Dark Souls, or Dishonored or all those indie PC games that are all the same thing over and over?

LOL no kidding.

Lmao. Exactly.

Keep in mind I have nothing against the existance of non Nintendo games or consoles.

Just saying that if they didn't exist, we'd probably have no games for many of the audiences they aim their products at. The ideal market is one where the Mario, Zelda and Pokemon series, the Halo and Call of Duty series, the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series and all kinds of others all exist and are still made. If Nintendo didn't exist and their series didn't either, then many of the genres those series are part of would basically have been abandoned forever. Same with Square and Eastern RPGs. Same with a few companies and shoot em ups, fighting games, etc.

The problem is, too many companies are trying to basically copy Call of Duty and hope they reach the same level of success. Or copy whatever other game is big at the time.

And keep in mind the Wii did well when it was targeted to expanded audience/casual audiences. The NES and earlier systems did well when targeted to families and the mass market. Do you know how well the industry has been doing recently? Not very. Nintendo's gone the wrong direction with recent systems and lost money for the first time in years, and about 20 or 30 big companies are either bankrupt or at the verge of it. Sales are slowing:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/174143/Gamasutras_halfyear_US_video_game_retail_sales_analysis.php#.UL5groOpBPI

Heck, even Call of Duty sales might be slowing down:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/182593/Call_of_Duty_sales_may_be_declining.php

Add in that some otherwise large companies like THQ are nearly at death's door and it doesn't paint a great picture of the industry.

Back