Is Autoplay video more annoying than autoplay music on websites?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, Autoplay video on websites is more annoying when I browse websites like blogs which are not video websites like YouTube, and Netflix.

I find autoplay videos on blogs annoying because they can be hard to find the player, they make sounds, and slow down my PC and use a lot of bandwidth.

Anything autoplay is annoying, end of story.

I'm okay with animated gif image files or small video files with no sound, and a small file size. I remember in the past, animated text sparkling effects were popular, but can slow down older computers if there were too many animated files on the page.

But, autoplay media files contain audio, and the files are big in size, they become very annoying because the sound disturbs whatever I am listening to, or slow downs my computer's internet, or computer if the file is in HD and uses a lot of CPU, RAM, and video resources.

One of the things I like about embedded video on forums and blogs is that they are usually not autoplay like video websites where you may just want to go to the YouTube video page to read the text description, or click on a link to a product's website, Twitter, or Facebook page.

I'm okay with animated gif image files or small video files with no sound, and a small file size. I remember in the past, animated text sparkling effects were popular, but can slow down older computers if there were too many animated files on the page.

But, autoplay media files contain audio, and the files are big in size, they become very annoying because the sound disturbs whatever I am listening to, or slow downs my computer's internet, or computer if the file is in HD and uses a lot of CPU, RAM, and video resources.

One of the things I like about embedded video on forums and blogs is that they are usually not autoplay like video websites where you may just want to go to the YouTube video page to read the text description, or click on a link to a product's website, Twitter, or Facebook page.

at least with gifs you can use adblocker to block them.

Yep. Autoplay video, autoplay audio... all make me want to close the tab in seconds.

That said... if there's one good thing about autoplaying video, it's that it's easy to tell where it's playing. So you can shut it off or delete it from the browser inspector. Audio could theoretically be quite hard to find on the page, though at least the speaker icon on the tab provides a bit of help there.

Yes, because they take up more bandwidth that music. They can easily be turned off though because browsers like Chrome and Firefox made a feature where you can actually see which tab is creating noise. Too bad only Firefox has the ability to instantly mute the page with one click, while for Chrome you have to find the video on the page and shut it down from there, which is a bit of an inconvenience.

Pop-up / autoplay / autospam anything is annoying. I read that the guy who invented popup ads is "sorry" for his creation, but it's too late now, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it wasn't him someone else would have made it.

I think pop-up windows may of existed before the guy invented the pop-up ad which is a window with only an ad.

Pop-up windows were not used for advertising in the beginning because it was harder to make money from ads, or selling stuff online because there were not as many advertising websites like Google Adsense which website owners can join to make money from a website by placing ads in the past.

I hate autoplay in general. If I don't want to hear something then attacking me with a sound is not going to make me like the page that did that. It's simply rude, and I think everybody hates it.

I just started noticing Facebook is autoplaying videos and it's the worst thing ever. Especially when I have my phone volume full blast.

Back