Is Gaming Destined To Become A Hobby For The Wealthy?

GreyHelm

Awards
Credits
Over the last several decades the gaming landscape has changed in just about every conceivable way. We went from having nothing more than several blinking dots on a black screen, to having semi-interactive environments that utilized the 8 bit graphics that had taken the gaming industry by storm. Then came the advent of side scrolling adventure games, which led into the 64 bit era which represented the transition into the next generation of gaming. And as we all know it didn't end there-ànowadays there are expansive, interactive environments that mirror the real world in ways designers could only dream of in years past.

Aside from the graphics and realism, the games we play have also grown more challenging and immersive over time.àBut we can't forget about the other thing that has changed over time concerning the games we enjoy so much.

Their prices.

With each new generation of PCs and consoles, the cost of gaming appears to have risen along with the quality of the games themselves. While this is to be expected (more complex games require more powerful equipment, which happens to be more expensive), it still forces one to ask the question:

Is there a trend here, and if so how far will it go?

To answer this question we need to look back to roughly 35 years ago, a point from which we can work our way back to the present. In 1977 the Atari 2600 (mentioned earlier) was available to consumers for $200, and its games usually ranged from $10-$20 (with some exceptions). In those days there was no true uniformity concerning pricing, and as such the cost of games varied much more than is the case in the current generation.

Fast forward to 1985, and the North American gaming community is introduced to the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) which retailed at $200 (including controllers and Super Mario Bros.), and had games generally priced around $50-$60.

Now if we look at these two consoles alone, things don't seem too bad. We're talking about nearly 10 years going by without a change in price for a newly released gaming system. The difference here is the cost of the games themselves, which comes as no surprise given their immensely increased complexity on the NES compared to what was available on the Atari.

A decade later the gaming public received two consoles that were met with considerable success: The PlayStation (which retailed at $299) and the Nintendo 64 ($199 at release). Despite the PlayStation's heftier price tag, its compact disc games were available at $40 while the N64's cartridges ranged from $50-$60. The cost of the 64's games at this point came as a direct result of the added expense of using cartridges. As such, it's unsurprising that the N64 was the last Nintendo gaming console to utilize cartridges.

Moving ahead another 10 years we arrive at the present generation (skipping over the PS2 and Xbox, both of which retailed at $300 with $50 games) where we currently enjoy Sony's PlayStation 3, Microsoft's Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii U. This generation is easily the priciest in terms of the consoles themselves, with the PS3 launching at $500 or $600 (depending on hard drive space) and the 360 at $300 or $400 (again based on buyer preference). The Wii U's recent launch had Nintendo's newest game system priced at $300.

On paper this seems like the continuation of a disheartening trend for gamers, but upon closer examination we can locate some positives. New games available for the PS3, 360 and Wii U are all priced at $60. That exhibits a modest increase over the $50 we spent on games for the PS2 and Xbox, and it actually represents a lighter price tag than what we experienced while purchasing N64 games in 1996 (when you factor inflation into the equation). Following that same line of logic, the current generation of consoles' games are cheaper than they were in 1991 on the Super Nintendo and even in 1985 on the NES.

If you're wondering what this all adds up to, it can be broken down to two points.

With each generation of new consoles, we've been given more capability and power, usually (and understandably) coupled with a higher price. But the games themselves have not become so expensive as to represent a cause for concern. In fact, one could argue that they have grown marginally cheaper over the years.

It's possible that this stems from console technology being able to do more with less as it progressed- or it could simply be a result of systems utilizing cheaper formats (CDs and DVDs for instance) than those used in the past. However regardless of the reasons, there is no disputing the fact that the price of a console only constitutes a one-time expense; it's buying the games to accompany the game systems that can get very expensive, very quickly (anyone who has assembled a game library can attest to this).

Luckily, based on the trends of the past and the developments of the present we can safely assume that while consoles might come with bigger price tags in the future, the games we play on them won't exceed reasonable costs.

With all of this in mind we can feel free to move forward into the future of gaming... without fearing the price of admission.

i too, have learned alot! but i must say that downloadable games i think depend on the game. those go up and down because of how big it is.

This was really interesting. Good read. I had no idea that games in the 1980's retailed at roughly the same level as they do now. And when you had inflation over 25-30 years, we are looking at games that are practically a bargain, especially when you consider how technologically advanced they are now.

Very good read here. I am a gaming fanatic, so i never really worry about the price of games or gaming consoles. If i want it, i would go out and get it. My finances are fine to the point where i can do that and I am very thankful for that. 

Very great post, thanks for sharing.

As soon as I read the title of this thread, I knew what it was going to be about, because I have found myself thinking some of the same things that you have pointed out in your post. Great thread and great lengthy post, by the way.

I use to be such an avid gamer. I had a PlayStation One, a PS2, a gameboy, a gameboy color, a nintendo ds, a Saga, a Nintendo 64, a Dreamcast. I can't think of any more right now, but I am sure that there were others in my household when I was growing up. But the games and the consoles seemed affordable. You would think that with today's economy, these companies would reduce the prices of their products a little.

I have since stopped buying new game consoles, and the latest one that I have is a PS2. Much too expensive, along with the games that get scratched or ruined WAY too easily.

Great post and great read. I thoroughly enjoy it. Thank you for posting this, even if this was posted 2 months ago. :)

| do think that video games may become more expensive as time goes on, but a mentioned in the article, the pric e to produce a video game has gone down since changin to optical disc. I do think that the driving cost of video games up will encourage video games go up in price. 

I would have to completely agree. Despite the prices of games being basically reasonable to anyone who actually has the console to play them on, the actual console prices are getting extremely expensive. Maybe most people can afford them right now, but I sure know that I can't. If I ever want to get a new console I have to specifically save for it because I just have too many other expenses to pay. I think if one can afford the admission (the console) then the game prices won't be a problem.

I really hope that gaming won't become just for the wealthy. But then again we have to remember that at least PC games are mostly going/staying Free to Play, and that's where I do most of my gaming so it works for me. But then again, the prices of computers are up and up as well. So it really looks like the prices of gaming is just going to get more and more expensive. 

It depends on what the companies decide is the "real" gamer. Microsoft obviously lives in a make believe world where folks can afford internet access that doesn't exist for most people, and are always ready to drop 60 dollars on an untried game. Sony hasn't gone that far over the line, and Nintendo is still my favorite - so yeah. Some folks are going to make rich folks their only customers, some are trying to keep between the two, and some are trying to be accessible to everyone. Eh.

Considering game development costs have skyrocketed from where FFVII ($45M to develop) was beaten by Shenmue ($85M between the two games, with a majority going to the first because the engine was modified for II) and now the most expensive MMO is SW:TOR ($150-200M to develop) and GTA V will be in that range as well....

You can't say that distribution media is the price-maker. You must factor these things into the game price. Additionally, digital downloads may have no physical storage media, but the size of the game has a considerable price attached. Plus you get your free updates and "cloud replacements", which also cost the distributor money.

But in any case, I don't think game prices will go up unless gamers demand extreme blockbuster prices.

I think gaming is shifting towards catering to a more affluent demographic.  For example, an individual may get a brand new $60 game, but they can't afford the numerous $15 DLCs that get released every 2-3 months.  Unfortunately, these people start to get weeded out as more and more people purchase the DLC.  Eventually, they're stuck and don't have as large a user base to play against.  

We also see what Xbox One did with the required internet connection.  Yes it's 2013, but obviously not everyone has an internet connection.  And if they do, not everyone has an extremely fast connection.  

We are not all on equal footing in this world and that also applies to gaming.

We gotta remember, some SNES games were upwards of 80 dollars and consoles in the early 90's (failed consoles) were upwards of 600-700 dollars. I think things will start to level out eventually and we won't see any enormous price jumps over the next generation. 

CaptainWoodzy said:
We gotta remember, some SNES games were upwards of 80 dollars and consoles in the early 90's (failed consoles) were upwards of 600-700 dollars. I think things will start to level out eventually and we won't see any enormous price jumps over the next generation. 
The thing is back in the 90s there were fantastic deals on renting games.  I'm 25 now and as a kid I remember going to the video store and having the time of my life.  For example, Blockbuster and Movie Gallery always had the rent "5 games, for 5 nights, for $5".  People may not have been able to afford the games, but there were options that still made them accessible and largely playable for most demographics.  With the transition into the digital market and the uncertain future of used games, those options may not be available after this generation.

Thanks very much for the good and interesting read, I learnt quite a lot which I don't expect to do on gaming forums now a days since I have seen almost everything there is too see. Thanks for posting this I found it really interesting.

AthleticTypist said:
The thing is back in the 90s there were fantastic deals on renting games.  I'm 25 now and as a kid I remember going to the video store and having the time of my life.  For example, Blockbuster and Movie Gallery always had the rent "5 games, for 5 nights, for $5".  People may not have been able to afford the games, but there were options that still made them accessible and largely playable for most demographics.  With the transition into the digital market and the uncertain future of used games, those options may not be available after this generation.
Who cares if you can or can't afford the game... if you can't afford the game system? Besides which there is say Gamefly? You rent up to three games at a time for however long you want for a monthly fee. You can also rent games from Redbox for a daily fee. You can currently purchase used games for extremely low prices for keeps. I mean I don't really get what you're trying to say.

Back