Is Internet Explorer one of the main reasons people keep using older versions of Windows?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
There are a lot of workers, who use computers, like office assistants, and receptionists who may still need to use old ActiveX, Plug-ins/add-ons like toolbars which only work for Internet Explorer, and does not work in Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera. These workers will still need to use an older Windows operating like Windows 8.1, 7, and XP to use a version of IE which works for their old ActiveX, plug-ins/add-ons, and other programs which only work on an older version of IE.

They simply don't know any better.

I'd love to go back to using IE , but since I have Windows 10, it only has Edge, which is terrible. The only reason I started using Chrome is because it links to my phone so if I find something interesting on my phone I can bring it up on my desktop or if I can't find my phone and it's muted, I can turn it up manually from my desktop. It's very handy.

However, I've done multiple tests back in high school using IE, Chrome, and Fire Fox. I used my iPod to time how long they take to open website and I found that IE was faster than the other two. (I don't remember the times, but it was by at least a few seconds.) Chrome was the second fastest and Fire Fox was slow as crap, which is why I refuse to ever use it. So, yeah, I'd love to go back to IE, but sadly it is no more.

I'd love to go back to using IE , but since I have Windows 10, it only has Edge, which is terrible. The only reason I started using Chrome is because it links to my phone so if I find something interesting on my phone I can bring it up on my desktop or if I can't find my phone and it's muted, I can turn it up manually from my desktop. It's very handy.

However, I've done multiple tests back in high school using IE, Chrome, and Fire Fox. I used my iPod to time how long they take to open website and I found that IE was faster than the other two. (I don't remember the times, but it was by at least a few seconds.) Chrome was the second fastest and Fire Fox was slow as crap, which is why I refuse to ever use it. So, yeah, I'd love to go back to IE, but sadly it is no more.

IE is included in Windows 10 according to How to find Internet Explorer in Windows 10 if you really need it

Instructions for finding IE in Windows 10

Type Internet Explorer in the Cortana/Search box. Saying "Hey Cortana, open Internet Explorer" isn't useful here.

Right click on Internet Explorer in the Cortana/Search window.

To add Internet Explorer as a tile on your Start Menu click Pin to Start. To keep it on your taskbar simply click Pin to taskbar."

Source

Last edited:
I believe so. Many stuff are developed based on the compatibility of the Internet explorer after all.
I still use windows 7 but that's for my custom itachi themes xD

I don't think people stay using older version of windows just for IE. Most site will not work if your browser is not updated e.g. online banking.

I don't think people stay using older version of windows just for IE. Most site will not work if your browser is not updated e.g. online banking.
I worked at a company in the past that still used a web app that relied on IE6 technology.
It's half-workable on other browser, and a bit more workable when one use inspection tool of Chromium, or Chromium + Firefox at the same time.

That's surprising

Some older companies may still use older IE ActiveX and other IE software features for doing different tasks like filling out a form or messaging in IE or a program. Some companies may not update their ActiveX to work on newer versions of IE, and other browsers, so they keep using an older Windows operating system like XP to keep using the ActiveX which only work on older versions of IE only found in Windows XP.

Some older company owners don't plan on keep owning their companies for most of their lives, and may close or sell the business when they plan on retiring, or can't make enough money, and hiring a computer programmer to write them a new program may cost many thousands of dollars which they can't afford, or don't want to spend.

Back