Is it a good idea to disable your antivirus software when playing Online PC Games?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is not a good idea to turn off your antivirus software when playing games since it makes you more likely to get infected by a virus which slips through your firewall software, and Windows built-in security.

When playing online PC games without antivirus protection, other online players may more easily steal your username and password for the game, and infect your PC with a virus.

As long as you have something running its fine so long as you run a scan afterwords.

how come antivirus sometimes detects game guards as trojan? even the game itself?

The antivirus maker may not of test their software enough. There is always a risk of your antivirus accidentally deleting a good program, or file, and even breaking Windows since the maker of the antivirus did not test their software enough where their software deletes good files.

The antivirus maker may not of test their software enough. There is always a risk of your antivirus accidentally deleting a good program, or file, and even breaking Windows since the maker of the antivirus did not test their software enough where their software deletes good files.

it just happened yesterday that when i'm playing a online game(which is i normally play casually) suddenly the antivirus deleted files in the game folder and my game crashed that i need to download again the whole game since it delete almost all of the important files

it just happened yesterday that when i'm playing a online game(which is i normally play casually) suddenly the antivirus deleted files in the game folder and my game crashed that i need to download again the whole game since it delete almost all of the important files

That sounds annoying. What antivirus software do you use?

Why do we need to disable antivirus while playing online Games?

Some antivirus are poorly design, and sometimes may block some games from running. Antivirus also can use a lot of RAM and CPU resources which may slowdown gameplay.

Some antivirus are poorly design, and sometimes may block some games from running. Antivirus also can use a lot of RAM and CPU resources which may slowdown gameplay.
Is it i don't think so it was an good idea to disable antivirus to play games.

Is it i don't think so it was an good idea to disable antivirus to play games.
Froggy actually comes with good points here.

Lots of anti virus software take a fuckton of RAM and CPU for itself, and since you absolutely need such software AND you want to play a game online I assume you're using Windows, which is by a long shot the most bloated desktop OS ever created, effectively leaving way fewer RAM and CPU available for that one game you want to play.
And maybe you want to record or live stream it, and even more hardware resources get wasted.

However, don't say that because I'm on Linux I'm automatically virus-free, because that's absolutely not the case.
In fact, I do have a firewall installed just in case, I only don't run an anti malware app because most Linux anti malware software only block Windows viruses (useful for public servers and those who use Wine though), and I mostly go by common sense (don't click any short URLs, have extensions installed like Privacy Badger (which by the way blocks around 10 trackers on this very site as we speak), adblock, etc. to remove lots of potential malware, etc.).

Only scammers are a bit of an exception, but I call them on purpose to just waste their time so that they can't make any real victims during that time.

Froggy actually comes with good points here.

Lots of anti virus software take a fuckton of RAM and CPU for itself, and since you absolutely need such software AND you want to play a game online I assume you're using Windows, which is by a long shot the most bloated desktop OS ever created, effectively leaving way fewer RAM and CPU available for that one game you want to play.
And maybe you want to record or live stream it, and even more hardware resources get wasted.

However, don't say that because I'm on Linux I'm automatically virus-free, because that's absolutely not the case.
In fact, I do have a firewall installed just in case, I only don't run an anti malware app because most Linux anti malware software only block Windows viruses (useful for public servers and those who use Wine though), and I mostly go by common sense (don't click any short URLs, have extensions installed like Privacy Badger (which by the way blocks around 10 trackers on this very site as we speak), adblock, etc. to remove lots of potential malware, etc.).

Only scammers are a bit of an exception, but I call them on purpose to just waste their time so that they can't make any real victims during that time.
Oh ok thanks for the info.

Back