Is it fair/accurate to say every Google Chromebooks are All Lowend ?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is unfair to categorize all Chromebooks as being lowend because there are some faster Chromebooks with Intel i5 and i7 CPU, Intel HD 5000 graphics, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 803.11AC wi-fi, HD webcam and 13 to 15 inch HD and 4K monitor. Chrome OS can now run Android apps and games, so Chrome OS is as powerful and feature-rich as Android. Android apps is also catching up to Windows on what tasks like printing and gaming you can do within the app. It is also possible to install Ubuntu Linux within Chrome OS, or use WINE to emulate Windows programs in Chrome OS to use more programs.

I think most similar priced Chromebooks, Linux, and Windows laptops have similar CPUs, RAM GBs, and SSD storage space. In some cases, Chromebooks with a similar price may have a slightly faster CPU, more RAM, and nicer parts because Chrome OS is free unlike Windows 10 Pro retail which $218, so the Chromebook maker can spend the money $218 savings on nicer computer parts with faster performance.

Last edited:
I'm sure online you could get a decent one, otherwise in stores I think they are all low end.

I'm sure online you could get a decent one, otherwise in stores I think they are all low end.

I agree, most stores sell mostly lowend Chromebooks because they are the most popular like how it is very hard to find a fast Windows laptop with a 13 inch screen.

Usually the only fast small lightweight laptop at stores like Walmart is the $1000 Apple Macbook Air with 13 inch screen, Intel Core i5, 8GB of RAM, and 128GB SSD. The Apple Macbook Air may have slower performing parts than the latest $1000 Google Chromebook Pixel which recently got released. Apple rarely makes major upgrades to their older starter computer models like the Macbook Air and Mac Mini.

The rest of the small 11 to 13 inch screen size laptops at the store are Windows and Chromebook laptops with Intel Celeron CPU, 4GB or less RAM, and 64GB or less storage.

I think most are low end, mainly because the OS doesn't demand too much since it's pretty basic. I'm sure there are higher end models out there, just uncommon.

I think most are low end, mainly because the OS doesn't demand too much since it's pretty basic. I'm sure there are higher end models out there, just uncommon.

Chromebooks were also mainly promoted as home use, school and office laptops for taking notes, and using office apps like spreadsheets and slideshow presentations. In the past, Cheap Chromebooks were also promoted as disposable burner laptops for students and workers which are more likely to damage their laptop, or lose them at school or the public bus.

There are a few highend Chromebooks like the Google Pixelbook and some $500 - 600 Chromebooks from Acer and Dell with an Intel Core i5, 8GB of RAM, and more SSD storage space which are probably bought mostly by web developers who need a faster Chromebook for making web apps and games where a faster Chromebook would be useful, and richer users who is willing to spend $500-1000 on a Chromebook like people who buy a $1000 Apple Macbook Air to mostly browse the web and watch video because the Macbook Air is a status symbol to show how rich, trendy, and educated you are.

I think more higher end Chromebooks will come out in 2018 when there are more Google Android apps and games which are fully compatible with Chrome OS's Android emulator system.

Some users may more likely buy a Chromebook with 8GB of RAM, and a Core i5 CPU, 256GB storage like the Google Pixelbook to run Android Apps and 3D games because their newer Android smartphone like Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has 6GB of RAM, and an Octa-core 64bit CPU with a powerful video chip which can display 4K 60fps video on a 4KTV. They may also be use to using Android on a faster phone like Samsung Note 8, so they also want to use Android apps on the fastest Chromebook which they can afford to buy.

Last edited:
I believe come have i5 and i7 processors . But most of them are lowend.

So, even though it's unfair many people would categorize them like that

I believe come have i5 and i7 processors . But most of them are lowend.

So, even though it's unfair many people would categorize them like that

There are also Chromebooks with more powerful mobile CPUs like the Nvidia Tegra K1 and Samsung CPUs which are almost as powerful as the Nintendo Switches Nvidia Tegra X1 which is almost as powerful as the Xbox 360 CPU. But, most of the lowend Chromebooks are the most sold like how cheap Windows $200 laptops are very popular with students, and home users.

Back