Is it important to learn to read a Regular non-Digital analog clock with an hour and minute hand?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I still feel it can be important to learn to read a regular non-digital clock with an hour and minute hand. It also takes most people a few minutes to learn how to read an analog clock.

Plus, most people need to learn how to read a pie/circle chart and percentages for math class, and learning how to read a clock can help them learn to read a pie chart and percentages.

I still see older style clocks at schools, banks, libraries, and other public buildings.

There are still a lot of things like classic cars, alarm clocks, watches, clock towers, and houses which uses the older style analog clocks.

Analog clocks are also useful during a power outage, or if you don't have power for a long time like if you are lost in the dessert or arctic because you can always use a wind-up spring loaded analog clock.

There maybe some less advance countries which may still mainly use analog clocks, sun dials, and simpler forms of time keeping because digital clocks are too expensive, or they are used to analog clocks. If you pan on traveling to a country where analog clocks are popular, learning to read an analog clock is a good idea.

I still own/wear dial watches because I think they look better, but there isn't really a point. The power outage thing is kind of a moot point if you have a digital clock that runs on batteries, and the vast majority of the analog style clocks all run on batteries as well, so it further points that there really isn't a point outside of you preferring one over the other. Idk where you get the notion that digital clocks cost more, since they're about the same price, and honestly most of the time the old timey style clocks cost even more.

I could never wear a watch, but I know my clock hands. I know this is taught in grade school, I doubt it will ever be taken away.

I still own/wear dial watches because I think they look better, but there isn't really a point. The power outage thing is kind of a moot point if you have a digital clock that runs on batteries, and the vast majority of the analog style clocks all run on batteries as well, so it further points that there really isn't a point outside of you preferring one over the other. Idk where you get the notion that digital clocks cost more, since they're about the same price, and honestly most of the time the old timey style clocks cost even more.

I also prefer the look of dial watches.

I think spring loaded wind up clocks may have some uses in rare cases like if you are a soldier where you maybe fighting in a place where buying watch batteries is not always possible because of war scaring away all the watch battery sellers.

Digital clocks may cost more in less advance countries where they need to import circuit boards, microchips, and LCD screens to make a digital watch while an analog clock uses a wind-up spring loaded mechanism, or electric motor which is cheaper.

The dollar store only sell $1 analog dial alarm clocks, and there are usually no digital alarm clocks for sale for a dollar at the dollar store.

I wish the dollar store where I live sell digital alarm clocks. Digital alarm clocks cost $5 or more at most regular stores. The store only sell battery powered analog alarm clocks for $1.

I use a regular clock in our house. As far as it being a good idea to learn how to read it? I'm not sure. Everything is so computerized now-a-days!

I use a regular clock in our house. As far as it being a good idea to learn how to read it? I'm not sure. Everything is so computerized now-a-days!

I mostly use a regular clock as well because I feel they last longer than Digital LCD clock where the screen breaks like most LCD monitors on laptops and desktops. I had some regular clocks which are over 10 years old, and still work. Regular plastic analog clocks also only cost about $10, and replacement parts for clocks cost about $5 for the clock movement motor and hands.

I think it can be a good idea to learn to read a regular clock. You never know when you may need to know how to read an analog clock like when your cell phone battery is dead, so you cant turn on your phone to read the digital clock. You may need to read the regular clock on the side of a building like a clock tower or old street clock which is usually analog because digital clocks did not exist when he clock was installed.

Retail store jobs at department stores which sells clocks are common jobs since many department stores sell clocks. Store customers may ask store workers to set the time for their new clock.

I think you are looking way too far into this. lol

I agree, I am looking way too far into this. lol Maybe it is best for people to choose if they want to learn how to read a regular clock or choose not to learn how to read a regular watch, and accept the possible consequences of not being able to read a regular clock.

I know it's hard to look at analog if you get used to digital, but for some reason I still prefer analog watches. Maybe because of art. For me it's not important, it's based on your preference.

I do think knowing how to read analog clocks are still important nowadays. Its basically the most effective way to tell time, digital clocks are more easy to use but the accuracy still depends on the setter. Mechanical clocks are more precised given that its well calibrated.

I think analog clocks are useful because you can read the time even if the number characters are in a different language than English number characters like 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7,8, 9, 10, 11, 12.

Analog clocks don't even need numbers since you look at two hands to read the time rather than 4 numbers like 01:00 or 10:00.

I think analog clocks are useful because you can read the time even if the number characters are in a different language than English number characters like 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7,8, 9, 10, 11, 12.

Analog clocks don't even need numbers since you look at two hands to read the time rather than 4 numbers like 01:00 or 10:00.
In the rest of the world we call characters like 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 "Arabic numerals".

True. There are clocks that's on other language such as japanese and roman numerals. Tho japan are now always using arabic numerals.
Also there are still people who like minimalist watches.

bauhaus.jpg

True. There are clocks that's on other language such as japanese and roman numerals. Tho japan are now always using arabic numerals.
Also there are still people who like minimalist watches.

bauhaus.jpg

I like minimal design watches if the hands and front of the watch looks nice. I think some luxury watch owners prefer a gold watch without numbers on the watch face, so there are other more expensive stones like diamonds, rubies, and crystals on the watch face.

I like minimal design watches if the hands and front of the watch looks nice. I think some luxury watch owners prefer a gold watch without numbers on the watch face, so there are other more expensive stones like diamonds, rubies, and crystals on the watch face.

If you ask me, I don't really like minimalist watches. I am a fan of roman numerals even if it takes lot of spaces between . :p

If you ask me, I don't really like minimalist watches. I am a fan of roman numerals even if it takes lot of spaces between . :p

Roman numerals watches are nice. They remind me of the Final Fantasy series of RPG, and other video games which uses Roman Numerals like Age of Empires.

Back