Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Do you think killing insects of all kinds is wrong? Or does it depend on how rare/harmless they are or if they are deadly?

Demon_Skeith said:
why does making it endangered not alright?
Because some insects are a necessary part of the eco system, some even contribute more than humans do. If we just go off killing them just because we can then we could alter the stability of the life cycle itself. I feel the same way about cutting down trees unnecessarily.. they clean the air and make oxygen and provide shade, for crying out loud..

If it is contributing something and it isnt bothering me then I will leave it alone, for example, a spider that kills ants, roaches, mosquitoes, wasps and centipedes.

But if it isn't then it will have to go..

It is bad enough that humans have already  caused and contributed the extinction and endangerment of the species we have already..

Honestly, I think its just pathetic to kill insects for no reason. If they're harmful and keep hanging around you, then yeah, that might warrant a squash. Other than that though, its pointless to do so. More or less what I mean is just don't go out of your way to kill them, that's kinda sad. 

If the insect is harming you then ofcourse you can kill it for self-defense in a way. If there is just an insect there just let it stay there. It's tiny, look at your size!

Redcap said:
If the insect is harming you then ofcourse you can kill it for self-defense in a way. If there is just an insect there just let it stay there. It's tiny, look at your size!
And in what way is an insect likely to harm you if you didn't do anything to annoy it first? Insects rarely harm for no good reason, it is usually a self defence mechanism for them. Or in the case of mosquitoes, a way to feed as they are sanguivores. 

As someone said earlier, insects are vital to the balance of the ecosystem just as any animal is.

They also have as much right to be on this earth as any other animal, too. 

Also, with insects it is easy enough to get them away without harming or killing them. Spider? Put it outside via a glass/cup and paper or a spider catcher. Moth? Turn the lights on in the adjacent room till it leaves the vicinity. Mosquitoes? Use a repellent. And so on.

There really is no need to harm or kill them. 

Do not put a house spider outside as it will die shortly. (By the way guys spiders are NOT insects.)
I don't go out of my way to kill insects, but if certain ones get near me I will kill them. Considering there are more insects than any other type of animal I doubt killing a few will hurt anything.

I have a rule if they are in my house bothering me then I will try to relocate them to the outside if not I kill them. Outside I am in there house so i leave them alone.

Demon_Skeith said:
My law is simple, stay outside and I won't come for you. Be in my house it's either the shoe, the vacuum or something very hard that will be smashed on it.
I have pretty much the same principle, except for the fact that I prefer to use bug spray to kill them if they are inside my house. Unless they are spiders. I am terrified of spiders, so I will most likely smash those with a large, hard object.

alakazam said:
I have pretty much the same principle, except for the fact that I prefer to use bug spray to kill them if they are inside my house. Unless they are spiders. I am terrified of spiders, so I will most likely smash those with a large, hard object.
ditto on the spiders, though I rather not use bug spray, that crap is toxic. and try to use something with ammonia in it, that is like instant kill for bugs. I killed a whole hornet's nest with glass cleaner once.

It is hard to be equal with the insects. Some insects wake up the impulse or repulsion that moves us to kill them before even assessing the situation.
I have spared spiders and other insects before because... I dunno, I just felt compelled not to kill them. I took them out of the house instead. But I have also killed with no remorse cockroaches flying to my face or the persistent fly around me. So I'd say mood also have an impact on my decisions regarding the presence of insects.

One of my older memories, I'd be four years old or so, was when I was watching a  cockroach walk on the outside yard floor of some mall and I was walking around trying to protect it while it crossed towards the street, because it was dark brown and easy to spot. My heart sank when suddenly a shoe purpotely stepped on it and twisted to ensure its demise. It was my dad. He then proceed to give me a talk about how cockroaches doesn't need as mate to make more and how they become a plague in no time and we should kill'em all in the spot as soon as we discover one.

Kaynil said:
It is hard to be equal with the insects. Some insects wake up the impulse or repulsion that moves us to kill them before even assessing the situation.
I have spared spiders and other insects before because... I dunno, I just felt compelled not to kill them. I took them out of the house instead. But I have also killed with no remorse cockroaches flying to my face or the persistent fly around me. So I'd say mood also have an impact on my decisions regarding the presence of insects.

One of my older memories, I'd be four years old or so, was when I was watching a  cockroach walk on the outside yard floor of some mall and I was walking around trying to protect it while it crossed towards the street, because it was dark brown and easy to spot. My heart sank when suddenly a shoe purpotely stepped on it and twisted to ensure its demise. It was my dad. He then proceed to give me a talk about how cockroaches doesn't need as mate to make more and how they become a plague in no time and we should kill'em all in the spot as soon as we discover one.
spider pending, you may have killed that spider as it may have been an indoor spider only.

Perhaps, though I'm confident that Australian spiders can take it. Then again... Geckos.
Either way killing it is zero chance surviving not killing it could make re-enter and allocate in a less noticeable zone or something.

I think it's wrong if you're torturing an insect just for the sake of a being a dick.  Kids do it all the time but they don't know much better.  If a poisonous spider for example, or a scorpion (not insects, but you get the idea) crawls into your boot though... kill it.

Pretty much kill spiders, cockroaches and flies, the latter two because they spread bacteria and gunk.  Spiders, because I'm an ignorant human who would rather kill it quick than get close to the icky thing.  I try to make it quick at least.

Back