Is owning a car, bicycle as important now that there are many internet services?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I'm sure I can find a way to earn enough money from selling things and digital files like ebooks, PC games, and game mods on internet services like eBay and Steam.

I can easily rent a car or bike from an online car rental and bike rental website, or use online taxi/ride-sharing apps like Uber and Lyft ride sharing.

I think owning a car and bike may not be as important for some people who know how to use the internet very well for making and spending money to rent a car or bike.

I'd say yes, they remain important.
Not only there are multiple sports that rely on cars and bicycles, people working at places public transportation is considered too far away still rely on a car or bicycle.

It's not as much of a problem in Tokyo, because public transportation is so normal that every job offer even mentions the nearest train or metro station.

However, in a big number of places in Europe, companies are often located at industrial areas, which are commonly the only parts in tonnes of non-major cities where public transportation is non-existant (though having to walk 15 minutes to the nearest bus stop is not a big deal to my experience, too many people still see it as over exhausting).

I think in smaller towns and cities not owning transportation like a bike or car can be a problem if you need a car and bike for most of the year.

But, in more modern big cities with high speed mobile internet, fast home broadband, and many online transportation rental companies, it maybe more affordable to occasionally use an online bike or car rental company/smartphone app because you don't need to pay for insurance for the full year, or buy or rent a place to park your car or rent a bigger room to house your bike.

The public bus and train schedules posted online are sometimes accurate.

It maybe possible to use Craigslist to rent someone bike if people in your town are trustworthy and won't steal your bike and sell it.

No matter how good the internet becomes, people will always need a car or bicycle.

I think in smaller towns and cities not owning transportation like a bike or car can be a problem if you need a car and bike for most of the year.

But, in more modern big cities with high speed mobile internet, fast home broadband, and many online transportation rental companies, it maybe more affordable to occasionally use an online bike or car rental company/smartphone app because you don't need to pay for insurance for the full year, or buy or rent a place to park your car or rent a bigger room to house your bike.

The public bus and train schedules posted online are sometimes accurate.

It maybe possible to use Craigslist to rent someone bike if people in your town are trustworthy and won't steal your bike and sell it.
Even then you miss the point where there are jobs that require owning a car.
Even at the IT company I work at we need car drivers, because you never know when customers start to call for an emergency and we can't connect remotely as a result.

As for bus and train schedules, it depends on where you live.
Netherlands and German schedules are quite accurate, but delays happen quite a lot.
Poland schedules used to be inaccurate during the communist times, but are very accurate nowadays.
Japan schedules are literally on the second (and if a vehicle gets delayed, they'll apologise a million times through the intercom).

No matter how good the internet becomes, people will always need a car or bicycle.

I agree some people will need a way to get around by car and bicycle. But, I know a few people who rarely use a car and bicycle and mostly walk, and use a taxi or internet taxi service like Uber and Lyft to get around when they need to go to a place which is farther away from their home. I think some people individual needs may owning a car or bike not always necessary. Some jobs like book writers and artist don't require a car to drive to work since they work from home, and they have enough time to buy most of their stuff online, and enough space to stock up on food and supplies, and using a taxi or bus service is good enough.

Internet shopping sites can make it less necessary for people to own large trucks and vans to buy big things like TVs, stoves, and fridges for their home since they can use sites like Amazon, eBay, and Bestbuy.com to order these large items directly to their home with delivery companies like the postal service. It is possible to use internet sites to sell your old stuff and homemade stuff and ask a delivery company to pick up and ship your stuff to internet shoppers who bought your stuff.

Even then you miss the point where there are jobs that require owning a car.
Even at the IT company I work at we need car drivers, because you never know when customers start to call for an emergency and we can't connect remotely as a result.

For people and small companies who only occasionally need to use a car or for rare emergencies, it can be more affordable to rent a car for a few hours or longer rather than buying a car depending on how often they need to use the car, how expensive a cars is to buy including sales and environmental taxes, and the long term cost of maintenance, repairs, fuel, and insurance for the type of car they need like a truck, van, regular car, etc.

Some people rent more expensive work vehicles like moving trucks for a few hours or days because they are too expensive to own, and maintain for many years, and reselling them can be harder if there is not a high demand for the car.

Some poorer people, unemployed/retired people, and small companies occasionally rent cars at local or online car rental companies, so owning a car is not always necessary if you use a car a few times a month or year, and don't feel it is a good use of your money to continually pay for the long-term insurance, registration, maintenance, repair, and fuel costs which can cost many thousands of dollars over many years.

There are also short-term 1 year leases or weekly to monthly rentals for cars for people who want to rent a car, but do not want to buy a car to use for a few weeks to month, and resell their used car which they own if they bought a car they don't want anymore.

Last edited:
You make it sound as if renting a car would be far cheaper in America than it is to own one.
I can tell you, renting a car here is only cheaper if you're a well profiting company, because otherwise you'd be paying the hell out of your wallet.
And even then, owning a car is anything but cheap here, but still cheaper than renting one.

You make it sound as if renting a car would be far cheaper in America than it is to own one.
I can tell you, renting a car here is only cheaper if you're a well profiting company, because otherwise you'd be paying the hell out of your wallet.
And even then, owning a car is anything but cheap here, but still cheaper than renting one.

The North American governments raising car related taxes and registration fees for cars can make owning a car for many years very expensive. Car companies, car dealerships, and car services like car insurance, repairs, maintenance, and car parts can make owning a car expensive depending on the brand and type of car you buy.

Renting a car can be more affordable in North America if it is a short rental for a few minutes like a local Car sharing company which charge $0.41 per minute of driving, $15 an hour compared to spending $20000 or more on a new car and additional expenses like the cost of car insurance, car and environmental recycling and gas taxes, license plate registration, and parking permits if you don't own a garage at home.

The longterm insurance, repairs, maintenance, taxes like gas tax, parking costs like parking permits and parking space rentals like $4 an hour at busy streets, and car registration costs can make drivers end up spending many thousands of dollars per year to own an average car. Some people buy luxury cars from BMW and can end up spending many thousands of dollars on repairs and maintenance on expensive parts like the transmission and engine. Some non-luxury car companies may also sell replacement car parts for expensive prices, and charge a lot for car parts installation because the dealership want to earn more money, and the owner of the car must replace the broken part to make their car work again.

A lot of people in North America lease/rent new cars for 5 years or less because they don't want to own and maintain a car for many years, or spend money to sell a used car to a new owner. Buying newspaper classified ads space to sell used cars, and using eBay to sell a car can be expensive depending on how much do used car ads cost. Used car dealerships can rip off un-informed car owners who don't know how much their used car is worth.

Last edited:
Back