Is Steam really that much of a big deal these days?

AgentD

Credits
I was pondering on this these passed days, I remember that when I first got into PC gaming I stayed because of all the hype surrounding Valve and Steam in general, the big sales, the fact that you can have all your games digitally on the same library...But nowdays, Steam's sales are not the best sales in the PC market and EA making some great games Origins exclusive has taken away that "All in one place" feeling that Steam used to give.

I mean, now even consoles can give you a better digital library than Steam.

Do you think Steam's glory days are over? Will Valve wake up and change things or will a "new Steam" take its place? Curious to read what you guys think.

Honestly, I think Steam is and for a long time will be the best and most popular gaming platform for PC's. Sure, they lack some EA titles but there is not a single sane person on earth that would even consider Origin to be half good. Its notorious for just being utter rubbish and I hated using it when playing Mass Effect 2. Steam is not only the gateway to your PC games, but a massive community where gamers can interact, post news, pictures, videos, guides, e.t.c, trade items and even make money selling stuff they get in-game (look at CS:GO and TF2.)

Its too big, too popular and there are people who have spent too much money on it to ever leave. The highest level Steam member has bought over 5000 games, I don't think he's leaving any time soon and that applies to a lot of Steam members. It has that level of convenience and integration that no other gaming platform has. Besides, a lot of games will always require Steam to run in the first place due to things like Anti Cheat systems or achievements or whatever. In my opinion, there is nothing really wrong with Steam and a lot of other people share that opinion with me. And with the addition of things like Steam OS and Steam VR headsets (I think that's a thing?) there are plenty of ways to engage with the platform in a more personal way.

Origin tried to be a "New Steam" and all they got was a pile of hate because A: Too many people like Steam. B: Steam is better. C: EA is notoriously rubbish at everything that has to do with money and D: Origin has not even a percentage of the amount of games Steam has, as well as the community integration and all that stuff. There are small gaming platforms for stuff like Indie games such as GameJolt, but those are small communities.

Back