Is the Floppy Drive icon is still good image for using as the Save icon in programs like MS Word?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think the Floppy Drive icon is still good for using as the save icon for programs like MS Word.

Changing the floppy drive save icon to another icon may confuse users who are used to using the Floppy Drive icon to manually save files to a computer's hard drive.

To be honest, I can't really see what you can change that save icon to. I don't think that there is much of a choice those days.

You can say its pretty iconic (pun intended :) so to change it may lead to more confusion. Though like idiots, I'm sure MS will change it one day.

I think the Floppy drive is the best icon because the USB icon is already use for the system tray in Windows, and the USB icon is usually use for mounting and unmounting a USB drive. The hard drive icon in Windows is usually use for opening a drive to see what files are inside the hard drive.

Plus, many older movies, TV shows, videos, and books show PC users using a floppy drive to save a file to a Floppy.

To be honest, I believe it might be a bad idea... But people are used to that symbol.

Any other symbol like usb or cloud can be very confusing

Hrmm, a disc perhaps?

I think most Disc like CD/DVD/Blu-ray are read-only where users can't use a computer to save files to a disc unless the Disc is a CD-R,DVD-R, etc, and they use a Disc burning program like Nero and Roxio disc burner.

Agreed the floppy icon to save is universal and changing that will only create confusion.

I think most Disc like CD/DVD/Blu-ray are read-only where users can't use a computer to save files to a disc unless the Disc is a CD-R,DVD-R, etc, and they use a Disc burning program like Nero and Roxio disc burner.
Well starting from windows 7, you can treat a CD-R like a floppy but it not the best idea to do so. Also I think Nero and Roxio is pretty much not needed now days.

Well starting from windows 7, you can treat a CD-R like a floppy but it not the best idea to do so. Also I think Nero and Roxio is pretty much not needed now days.

I think CD-R are write once where you can't modify the original file after the file is written to the disc. But, you can make changes to a file many times on a Floppy by rewriting/re-saving the file on the floppy.

Nero and Roxio may not be needed for most disc burning users. But, some users rather use Nero and Roxio because they don't contain a computer virus which may exist in some free disc burning software made by a virus maker.

Less tech savvy users may want to use disc burning software from a software maker which let user phone or e-mail the software company for technical support from a technical support worker instead of having no tech support or relying on a forum on its website similar to many free software where there is not much technical help, or users need to use a free tech support forum to ask for help from other users, and the maker of the software.

Back