Is the internet making people buy fewer new things because of free information on how to fix things,

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I think the internet could be making fewer people buy new things since there are a lot of free websites which teaches people how to fix things like computers, doors, and even make things like cake, soap, etc for a lower price.

On sites like Craigslists, and other local classifieds ads online, people post free ads for giving away their old sofa, Tube TV, and tables which they don't want anymore, but want someone to pick up, and use to be more environmentally friendly, and they won't have to hire a moving company to move the stuff to the junkyard.

Fewer people are buying games, music and movies because of bittorrent, Kazaa, file sharing, and streaming sites where you can download or stream stuff for free.

I read on a blog when 3D printing becomes popular and cheap, fewer people will buy things like plastic bottles, flower pots, and combs because they can download free files which print out stuff.

Yes, because you can buy things cheaper used, pirate it, or just figure out how to fix it.

There are also people who post their unwanted things on Facebook, and Twitter to see if any of their friends want to buy it used, or trade it for something else like trading a used iPod for a used cell phone.

There are also free alternatives to paid digital files like a lot of independant music, and movies are uploaded to YouTube, so people will watch them.

Free web browsers like Firefox, Google Chrome, and IE also made companies making paid web browsers back in the 1990s become less popular or gone. There are also a lot of free to play games like Temple run, Maple story, Second Life, RuneScape, and Flash games which make people less likely to pay for paid games because the free alternative games are taking up too much of their time, and provides them with hours of fun.

I don't know...

I think the easy availability of items on sites like amazon and ebay offsets the points you made. Think of all the people who either hate going to the store or are just lazy, who can buy things with the internet. I think it's about even.

I bet a lot of people who buy items on eBay and Amazon buy used/refurbished items which other people sell via Amazon Marketplace and put up for sale/auction on eBay since used games, electronics, books, clothing and other things are cheaper online than new items online, and there is usually a 30-90 day warranty on used items.

Paypal or your credit card company will refund you the money if you got broken goods which you bought on eBay and other online stores.

I mostly buy used stuff from Amazon, and eBay because it is cheaper, and finding used goods for a good price at offline stores like Gamestop, or second hand stores is hard since sometimes you can buy new stuff for cheaper or a few dollars more if there is a sale at another store like Wal-Mart, and Best Buy.

froggyboy604 said:
I bet a lot of people who buy items on eBay and Amazon buy used/refurbished items which other people sell via Amazon Marketplace and put up for sale/auction on eBay since used games, electronics, books, clothing and other things are cheaper online than new items online, and there is usually a 30-90 day warranty on used items.
For things like school books and the like (when I was stil in school anyway) I used to always buy used, but in terms of the things I buy online now I almost always buy new. Maybe I'm in the minority, but that's just me.

Everything is cheapper with the internet, since they provided the best and the easiest paying method.

GreyHelm said:
For things like school books and the like (when I was stil in school anyway) I used to always buy used, but in terms of the things I buy online now I almost always buy new. Maybe I'm in the minority, but that's just me.
I buy most books and video games used online.

I think for things like video games, music cds, books, and DVDs, a lot of people buy used, and re-sell their used games, music cds, and dvds when they get bored of them, or need the cash to buy other used games and such. New video games, DVDs, and music cds are so expensive compared to used video games, dvds, and cds which cost a lot less which more people can afford.

With services like Gamefly, and Netflix, people can easily rent used games and movies online to play when they are delivered to their home.

I also watch a news report where people rent physical items from a website like expensive purses and jewellery to wear at parties, and return when they are done with them.

Back