Is the large file size of the Android operating system making gamers play fewer Android games?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I think that the many Gigabytes/GB which Android uses to install the operating system is preventing some gamers from playing as many big Android games as they want to because of too little free space.

There are Android phones and tablets which don't have a MicroSD Memory card slot, and the bundled apps sometimes can use many hundreds of MBs of storage space which some gamers may want to use to install more games.

Plus, some phones and tablets have smaller size limits for MicroSD cards where you can only use a 32GB memory card. The prices of bigger MicroSD memory cards can cost a lot of money as well.

Not all phones MicroSD card can be used for storing games, and apps, and the MicroSD card can only be used for storing videos, text, and other files which are not apps or games.

I'd say there's many contributors but I wouldn't consider that even in the top 5 problems.

I'd say the biggest culprit is the Free to Play market becoming hugely exploitative in recent years. Have you heard about Scientific Revenue? It's a service that changes the money value of in-game purchases depending on the player's demographic. It's sickening. Don't even get me started on loot boxes.

The next biggest is probably the sheer amount of games avaliable and little way of finding quality amongst them.

I'd say there's many contributors but I wouldn't consider that even in the top 5 problems.

I'd say the biggest culprit is the Free to Play market becoming hugely exploitative in recent years. Have you heard about Scientific Revenue? It's a service that changes the money value of in-game purchases depending on the player's demographic. It's sickening. Don't even get me started on loot boxes.

The next biggest is probably the sheer amount of games avaliable and little way of finding quality amongst them.

The high prices of decent phones and tablets can be one reason that mobile gaming is less enjoyable. Many of the low-cost tablets sometimes come with bloatware/sponsored apps and games where another company may pay the tablet maker to install their app on the device.

Scientific Revenue changing the money value of in-game purchases is sneaky rather than just keeping the price of all items the same for everyone.

The app store is not the best place to find games. I think more dedicated mobile gamers read mobile gaming blogs, or go on YouTube to find out about new mobile games which are worth trying out.

The app stores now have Editor's choice, and Top rankings which are a good way to find good games since a game usually needs to be good to be an App store Editor's choice game, or appear in the top ranings.

That says it all. It also applies to games on PC, Xbox etc as well. Also some phones won't let you store files that is bigger than 4GB. Sad but true.

I think some Phone's Storage File System like FAT32 has a file limit of 4GB because Microsoft the creator of FAT32 did not make FAT32 have a bigger file limit. A lot of Micro SD cards are still formatted in FAT32, so you can't store files bigger than 4GB on them.

Maybe more smartphones and tablets should add support for playing games off an external storage drive like USB Blu-Ray drive or hard drive/SSD, so people can play large game files off a disc, or hard drive/SSD rather than using streaming services like Playstation Now, Gamefly, and Steam game streaming which can be unreliable if your network or internet is slow and disconnects a lot.

Last edited:
Yeah that is true but you can't expect a good game with neat graphics with less space.
So I don't have any problem with playing less games

Yeah that is true but you can't expect a good game with neat graphics with less space.
So I don't have any problem with playing less games

I agree good graphics need a lot of space, and it is an unrealistic expectation to expect good graphics with a small file size sort of like how small file size photos and videos don't look good.

Back