Is the menu toolbar still important in web browsers?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think the menu toolbar is useful for people who need to see their history, print webpages a lot with a printer, use their bookmarks, and open other browser settings and asks from the menubar.

But, a drop down menu like the dropdown menu button in Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and newer versions of Firefox is good enough for most users.

I can see younger people doing without, but the older users will want it.

I can see younger people doing without, but the older users will want it.

The menu bar could be useful for younger people once they get old since some old people easily forget how to do things as they become older in their 70s and 80s. I think new computer users like kids in Kindergarten and 1st grade computer class can find the menu bar useful if they know the meanings of the words in the menubar.

I think the menu bar makes it easier for you to use and remember keyboard shortcuts since most menu bar also label keyboard short cuts like CTRL - S to save a website, and CTRL -P to print a website.

Desktop PC monitors are getting cheaper where you can get a 24 inch 1080P HD monitor for under $200, so a menubar does not use up a lot of monitor space like in the past where monitors where 15 inches and had 800 x 600 pixel resolution.

I have a mixed opinion in this regard.
A menu bar is convenient to have, since it grands access to all options available if you don't know all the keyboard shortcuts.
The more keyboard shortcuts you know, the fewer you will use it.

Especially in creativity tools (3D modelling, graphics, video editing, etc.), I can in no way imagine the menu bar to disappear.
Those kind of apps typically come with way too many features to remember all shortcuts for, not to mention that some of those features don't have a shortcut at all.

Implementation is important too, I sometimes see a menu bar that fits nicely within the desktop theme you're currently using, while sometimes it's completely out of place.

Here I have 3 different Terminal apps (MATE-Terminal (with a menu bar), Tilix (with a Header Bar), and xterm (no menu of any kind)):
3terminals.png

mateterminal.png

tilix.png

So what looks easier to you?

I think the menubar will still be very important since it is a directory for easily finding and using every setting on a web browser and other programs, and it can be difficult to remember every shortcut key on the menu.

But, if you know how to use the Menu bar keyboard shortcuts, and the arrow buttons on your keyboard, you can quickly open most things on your web browser without using your mouse.

Honestly, I don't think so. Downloads ctrl+j, history ctrl+H, ctrl+n(new tab) and ctrl+shift+n (new incognito tab) are the only ones that I use and I don't use toolbar or settings options.

Honestly, I don't think so. Downloads ctrl+j, history ctrl+H, ctrl+n(new tab) and ctrl+shift+n (new incognito tab) are the only ones that I use and I don't use toolbar or settings options.
Until you get to either of the 2 scenario's:
1. You switch to a different browser for one or more reason(s).
2. You need to teach an older person all these shortcuts (spoiler alert: they won't remember!).

2. You need to teach an older person all these shortcuts (spoiler alert: they won't remember!).

These two reasons are good reasons to still have menu bars and toolbars.

There is also a chance that the web browser maker messes up, or changes the keyboard shortcuts, or remove some keyboard shortcuts for whatever reason.

Sometimes, the keyboard or some keys on cheaper laptops may fail, and you just can use your mouse and on-screen software keyboard to type and move the cursor until you repair your laptop keyboard. Access to an external keyboard is not always possible if you are on an airplane, car, truck, or place where buying things like keyboards are difficult.

You can actually use a Bluetooth keyboard in an aeroplane (used my Switch Joy-Cons as a test when I travelled to London (UK) and back, and again to Tokyo (Japan) and back).
And laptops always allow you to connect to an external keyboard in a way (mostly through USB, but don't look at the more recent MacBook Pro models).

You can actually use a Bluetooth keyboard in an aeroplane (used my Switch Joy-Cons as a test when I travelled to London (UK) and back, and again to Tokyo (Japan) and back).
And laptops always allow you to connect to an external keyboard in a way (mostly through USB, but don't look at the more recent MacBook Pro models).

Finding a Bluetooth and USB keyboard maybe difficult on a plane if you did not carry one onboard yourself, and no one on the plane has a keyboard, or lend or sell a keyboard to you.

It could be a good idea to carry a small keyboard on a plane to use temporarily if your keyboard, or a key on your keyboard randomly breaks.

Yeah then the shortcuts might not work...I am not so sure though.
Some might work :p

This little menu is enough for me:

upload_2017-12-1_20-30-31.png

Then I have more room to see the tabs and web pages that I a currently looking at :)

I know it's Firefox, since I'm using it at the very moment.
But how do you have browser tabs on the same height as the minimise/maximise/close buttons?
A setting of any kind?

I know it's Firefox, since I'm using it at the very moment.
But how do you have browser tabs on the same height as the minimise/maximise/close buttons?
A setting of any kind?
It is a setting that I must have set that cause this, trying to remember what it was.

It is a setting that I must have set that cause this, trying to remember what it was.

I think the newer versions of Firefox has a compact user interface mode setting at the bottom of the Customize appearance editor window which is mainly used to add and remove buttons, and tool bars.

Back