Is the "Nintendo Hard" label dead?

PenguinManiac

Credits
Back in the days, Nintendo was known for the difficulty of its games, giving birth to the "Nintendo Hard" label. It is most frequently addressed to NES titles, but relatively recent games (e.g. Super Meat Boy and I Wanne Be The Guy) have been compared to them for their difficulty due to the precision and brain-hand coordination required.
Nowadays, it almost looks like the tables have turned. Even though some games provide a decent challenge, that's not exactly what Nintendo games are known for. However, aside from the indie scene, it's hard to find games that fit this label at all.
Is it too early to call the "Nintendo Hard" category of games dead?

Nah. A fair few Nintendo games are still pretty damn hard, and the label is sticking around mostly because TV Tropes uses it as a trope name:

Nintendo Hard - TV Tropes

I definitely wouldn't say it's dead as a 'label', but personally I don't think the metaphor really rings true anymore either. I mean, look at the Zelda series for example; how much trouble did you have with the first two games compared to any other game in the series? I know even when I was little, I had pretty much no trouble with any of the Mario games or any Nintendo game in general aside from the really early NES/SNES content they put out.

(though frankly even that stuff wasn't nearly as hard as other existing games of the time IMO)

There have been a levels on certain games that may have been difficult. But I don't know that there have been any games with the "label" anymore like there use to be. At least, there aren't any games that come to mind.

I haven't played enough Nintendo to back this, granted though GameFAQS has soften that title for sure. I know Splatoon had some hard parts to it in the story mode.

You should play more Nintendo. lol What were the last games that you remember playing?

I'm sure Nintendo hard is still around. It's not as prevalent as it once was, but sometimes it shines through. I mean have you played the Grand Master Galaxy comet in Mario Galaxy 2? That was hard as all get out. And Champion's Road from Mario 3D World? That's... not as hard as the Grand Master Galaxy comet since you only have one health, but it's still crazy hard compared to the rest of the game.

I'm sure Nintendo hard is still around. It's not as prevalent as it once was, but sometimes it shines through. I mean have you played the Grand Master Galaxy comet in Mario Galaxy 2? That was hard as all get out. And Champion's Road from Mario 3D World? That's... not as hard as the Grand Master Galaxy comet since you only have one health, but it's still crazy hard compared to the rest of the game.

I do believe that was the name of the level that almost made me throw my wii remote though my tv....

Back