Is this bit true about Luigi's Mansion beta?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
From Mario Wiki's beta elements page:

but also makes note of an unused and unpictured portrait ghost who would be a generic australian hunter who would have wanted to add Luigis head to his collection of other heads. He would have appered in the Safari room, and may have been removed due to the fact that his dialogue would frighten younger children.

That would have been a pretty dark thing to have in the game, a gun using hunter type ghost wanting to have Luigi beheaded and his head mounted on the wall.

Considering he was supposedly Australian, it also reminds me way too much of a certain member here...

I heard a Let's Player I watch mention this once.

I was a child when I played this game, and I found it quite scary even then. Having this in would have probably brought that fear level up a few notches. Though now I kind of wish I could do this battle.

I wish I could have fought this portrait ghost as well. A hunter type ghost boss would have been awesome to have in the game.

I heard Chuggaaconroy mention this. Honestly though I don't see how that phrase would be scary. I'd want to fight him though. He sounded cool.

Apparently we watch the same Let's Player.

I doubt we would find it scary at this age, but if this had been in when I was playing at somewhere around age 8, it might have gotten a little fear induced excitement out of me.

It wouldn't surprise me. Chuggaa has a huge fan base.

Actually I may have been a little bit freaked out, but the text in Luigi's Mansion never scared me. Besides what Madam Clairvoia said. That freaked me out a bit.

Considering he was supposedly Australian, it also reminds me way too much of a certain member here...
Geez Nin, I don't just walk around with a gun, threatening to add people's heads to my colle- *shoots at nearby grandma*

As I was saying, this sounds kinda cool, and in a way, the absence of it kind of makes the game all the more creepier, heh.

That would have been awesome but creepy! I hope theres stuff like this in LM2

Geez Nin, I don't just walk around with a gun, threatening to add people's heads to my colle- *shoots at nearby grandma*

As I was saying, this sounds kinda cool, and in a way, the absence of it kind of makes the game all the more creepier, heh.
Why doies everybody bag the crap out of you?

Why doies everybody bag the crap out of you?
Wait what, people bag the crap out of me all the time?! OH HELL NO.

Would've been fun going against this unnamed ghost who wants to add Luigi's head to his collection. We already have one wanting Luigi to be his punching bag. *Looks at Biff Atlas*

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I see now. I remember it being a bit bigger for some reason, but oh well. I think it still has plenty of room for a boss ghost.

Maybe we'll so this boss ghost in Luigi's Mansion 2. Though toned down to be less scary of course.

To be fair, it depends on what you mean by boss ghost. Do you mean a normal portrait ghost? Then the room's fairly average size for one (you fought Shivers, Miss Petunia, Henry and Orville, Uncle Grimmly, Jarvis and Vincent Van Gore in rooms about that size). But if you mean a proper boss, you NEVER fight them in just the room you see them in. Okay, maybe you fight Boolosuss in a sort of version of said room (the Balcony), but you fight Chauncey in a glowy boss arena void version of his Crib, Bogmire in a floating arena which doesn't seem to be located near the mansion or graveyard and King Boo in a hellish version of the mansion rooftop.

Hence it wouldn't be too out the picture for him to have a seperate boss room for the battle. Or to warp you to some kind of holographic safari park like location for the battle, like what kind of happened with the Observatory and the moon. Then again, he was in the beta version. Beta versions have different layouts for levels and such, so its more plausible the safari room looked hardly anything like the one in the final game.

Also, Mario Wiki has a scan of the relevant Nintendo Power page here:

[attachment=175:LMNP4.jpg]

Sorry, I was thinking of a normal portrait ghost at the time. I had forgotten about the location warping for some boss ghosts.

Still, you're right about the beta room possibly looking different than the room from the actual game. Though upon examination of that Nintendo Power issue, the room looks similar aside from the two tables in the middle. I think it has a bit more width as well.

Back