Just how realistic should games be?

Johnwaluigi

Demon Lord
Awards
Credits
I suppose the title calls into question the nature of games....
What do we play them for? Enjoyment obviously, but how close to the real world does it need to be?

As far as possible, if I wanted to play real life I go outside and play it on first person. Nintendo's departure from real life is what I like the most of this company.

A game shouldn't be about how realistic it can be, it should be about creating a distinct and colorful (or maybe not so colorful, depending on the game) art style that resonates with players.

The success of modern games like Minecraft and Team Fortress 2 (as well as many Nintendo games) show that realism isn't as important as some game developers seem to think it is.

(This is talking about realism in an art sense, not in a gameplay mechanic sense.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends entirely on the game. Some games, like DayZ, are more fun with a strong realism element. Other games, like pretty much every Mario game, thrive on silliness and simple fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far from realistic as possible. I hate realistic games

Graphics wise, I'm a real sucker for something that just looks beautiful, but at the same time, is surreal (neon colours and whatnot). To be honest, I like a nice blend of the two. Something that's easy to relate to, yet something you would never be able to experience in your ordinary life.

That's not my global opinion though; I like cartoon styles and I like styles that approach it from a "what would really happen" point of view.

Long story short, I'm not bothered by how realistic a game is, just so long as the level of realism suits the genre and characters and story within the game.

As realistic as whoever making the game wants it to be, make it as close to the real world as possible if that's what they want. I don't really think there's a line to draw with how realistic a game should be. Some games are meant to be realistic others aren't.

Some day they could have games that make it hard for you to tell if it's real or not.(That is, if in the future they have some kick-butt technology crap that can fully immerse you in the game) But it doesn't matter, if they want to make games like that good for them, I'm sure people will want/buy it.

Now, personally I like games with realistic and cartoony graphics, but as for the game itself when it comes to realism, I don't really care for them that much. I have a life, so I don't need a game to play out my normal everyday, but some people I know like 'em as close to there everyday as possible.

So anyway, like I said I don't really think you should only make games so realistic, some people like them and there's nothing wrong with having them like that.

Rant over.

Most probably anyone who likes Nintendo hates realistic graphics in gaming.

Go ask that on a $ony/$oft forum, now..

Cartoons. Love them.

We shouldn't have too realistic games. The point of video games is having fun when you know it's not real.

I think the realistic games are kinda not as good. that's why, on my Wii, i mostly play Kirby's 20th anniversary, Super mario All-Stars, and Super Smash bros Brawl.

I support every step video games take away from realism. For some games it works but if you can, make it look creative not realistic, colorful not washed out and dull.

Complex? Yes? Attention to detail? Yes.
But not real life simulators. That's uninspired.

I support every step video games take away from realism. For some games it works but if you can, make it look creative not realistic, colorful not washed out and dull.

Complex? Yes? Attention to detail? Yes.
But not real life simulators. That's uninspired.

I agree. Some games it works for. Call of Duty has no place looking like a Mario game graphically, for example, and The Sims doesn't need to look like Call of Duty. As you said earlier; I play games to NOT be in real life, but at the same time I wouldn't mind a VERY realistic-looking Dungeons and Dragons FP game like Kings Field or Eternal Ring. Something to make me feel as if I am actually slaying a real dragon when I get immersed into the world.

Realism is basically dependant on the game. If it's something futuristic or something like mario some aspects of realism can be thrown away. If it's like call of duty (not black ops 2) then some aspects of realism are a given.

Back