Kia, Hyundai CEOs asked to testify about vehicle fires before US Senate committee

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
A U.S. Senate committee asked the CEOs of two major automakers to appear before Congress to address the growing number of car fires involving Kia and Hyundai vehicles. Members of the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee invited Kyung Soo “Kenny” Lee, President and CEO of Hyundai Motor America, and Seungkyu “Sean” Yoon, President and CEO of Kia Motors America, to testify before the committee about the safety of their vehicles. One Ohio man died in a non-collision vehicle fire after starting his mother’s 2014 Kia Soul. As the I-Team reported in September, Keith Nash offered to pick up groceries for his mother in April 2017 so she didn’t have to get out of bed. Her son died when the car burst into flames.

Hopefully, Kia and Hyundai CEOs testifying in front of the US senate will make Kia and Hyundai more quickly find a way to fix and prevent car fires in affected Hyundai and Kia car models.

As stated in the past, its easier for these car makers to pay off the families due to an accident then to recall and repair all the cars.

As stated in the past, its easier for these car makers to pay off the families due to an accident then to recall and repair all the cars.

I think it maybe harder to pay off some people who bought a defective Hyundai and Kia which caught fire because some people will rather go to court to sue Kia and Hyundai for many millions of dollars, and share their car fire stories on as many TV news shows about their car fire because they nearly died in a car fire because of their defective car. A mother's son died when his Kia caught on fire when the car was parked in front of his home. The mom wants a recall and investigation, and the law to punish Kia for releasing a defective car which killed her son.

Recalling millions of cars can also cause Kia and Hyundai to go bankrupt or not earn enough money to pay its worker because most people will never buy any Kia and Hyundai cars in the future, and tell everyone not to buy a Kia and Hyundai. Some Kia and Hyundai owners may demand a refund because they no longer feel Kia and Hyundai cars are safe to own.

I think it maybe harder to pay off some people who bought a defective Hyundai and Kia which caught fire because some people will rather go to court to sue Kia and Hyundai for many millions of dollars, and share their car fire stories on as many TV news shows about their car fire because they nearly died in a car fire because of their defective car. A mother's son died when his Kia caught on fire when the car was parked in front of his home. The mom wants a recall and investigation, and the law to punish Kia for releasing a defective car which killed her son.

Recalling millions of cars can also cause Kia and Hyundai to go bankrupt or not earn enough money to pay its worker because most people will never buy any Kia and Hyundai cars in the future, and tell everyone not to buy a Kia and Hyundai. Some Kia and Hyundai owners may demand a refund because they no longer feel Kia and Hyundai cars are safe to own.

It's a static proven, it is cheaper for them to pay off families, even in court than to recall and repair cars.

It's a static proven, it is cheaper for them to pay off families, even in court than to recall and repair cars.

That is true it can be cheaper to pay off families than to recall and repair cars. But, there is also more risk of Kia and Hyundai losing most of their money if many of their defective car caught on fire and burned down many buildings and forests, and they lost many lawsuits from building and forest owners who want more money.

Repairing defective cars would be more responsible, and may save Kia and Hyundai from more expensive lawsuits related to large building fires and forest fires started by a car fire which may cost many billions of dollars to pay every victim off for a fair amount of money.

Last edited:
I think paying off the families,recalling and repairing is not enough. They should be suspended for a while so they can avoid things from happening again.

I agree a suspension would make these car fires from happening again a high rate where hundreds of cars have randomly caught on fire.

I also agree, our government needs to step up.

I agree the US government need to step up because KIA, Hyundai CEOs refuse to attend Senate hearing to explain cause of car fires . Kia and Hyundai CEOs refuse to testify in front of U.S. Senators about some of the companies’ cars catching fire.

Hopefully, the government can make the CEOs testify, and apologize to the victims, and the public for releasing cars which caught fire, and cause more serious fires like a house or forest fire if the car caught on fire near a home, or a forest with a lot of trees, dry grass, and plants.

Back