Kid Icarus Mythology roots?

Herobrine

Dave
Awards
Credits
Hey guys...
Does anyone know where the Kid Icarus mythology comes from? I know that it's Greek, but...

Icarus is a story from Greek mythology about a boy who wanted to fly. He was given wings made of wax and was told to not fly close to the sun. He flew too close to the sun and his wax wings melted and... well that's all she wrote.

I knew that one. I guess that was pretty obvious. But where did Palutena come from? I've never heard of her.
Oh, and about the Icarus story, He and his father were locked in a tower over the ocean. He and his father collected bird feathers and made the wings.

Well I know nothing about Kid Icarus games. I just know the story of Icaurs.

I presume Palutena's an original character, nothing comes out in Google that's not from Kid Icarus when you search for her name.

For the mythological roots of the other characters... Well, the true villain in Uprising
Hades
is the god of death/the underworld in Greek Mythology, although unlike the game he wasn't really evil. Poor guy, every work of fiction likes to portray him as a villain.

And the boss Twinbellows is based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthrus, a two headed dog from Greek Legend. Also a bit on Cerberus I guess.

Medusa isn't even all that important in greek mythology, yet she is a huge character in the Kid Icarus series...

Well... Medusa was turned into a monster by Zeus's wife(Rhea, I think). I think they put her in the game because people feel bad for her. The main villian (not medusa) in Kid Icarus wants power, not unlike our nation's leaders today.

First of all, the wings were made of wax and his father told him not to fly close yet he. He plummeted into the sea which is now the Icarainiun Sea or something along that. Medusa was turned into a beast by the god of beauty or something.

Icarus was a spoiled brat that died cause of his stupid ways. His father made him those wings so they both could escape the labyrinth but his stupid ass had to go higher and melted the wax.

I love mithology and all games that have to do with it. Sadly I haven't had the chance to play God of War. But I really do Love "Battle of Olympus" a NES gem that got inspired by Zelda II.

http://youtu.be/n6KHZ6Xxr2E

Medusa isn't even all that important in greek mythology, yet she is a huge character in the Kid Icarus series...
Medusa is very important in Greek mythology. What are you talking about? Medusa was turned into a monster by the Greek Goddess Aphrodite, the goddess of beauty, because she did some things that I won't mention out loud in her temple or shirine or whatever. She was also important because she's one of the reasons Hercules became an immortal. Plus wasn't Atlas, the titan holding the Earth, turned to stone using Medusa's head? Plus Percules used a mirror shield to do something with Medusa, but I can't remember what.

Long story short, she was very important.

Why? The system in the UK doesn't talk about greek mythology or study it in any way as far as I know.

Uh, Barty? I learned Greek Mythology 3 YEARS AGO! But you people were right, Aphrodite turned Medusa the way she is. My favorite Greek god is Hermes, but you might know him as Mercury in Roman terms. The messenger of the gods... The god of travel, and theft... The god with winged feet.

Why? The system in the UK doesn't talk about greek mythology or study it in any way as far as I know.
That's weird. Here in America I learned some Greek Mythology in 7th grade... though I've forgotten most of it.

That's weird. Here in America I learned some Greek Mythology in 7th grade... though I've forgotten most of it.

Yeah, Greek Mythology is required reading for 8th grade around here. Also, one of my sister's students is a 3rd grader and had Daedalus and Icarus on his reader list today.

I did a unit on Greek mythology back in my third year of secondary school.
Which syllabus you do, and which units from the syllabus, it simply decided by the teachers. It's not set in stone.

Some mythological things sure go out of hand in uprising for during middle school I learned some of this and still remember the story of icarus. But I don't know how viridi or palutena or any of the other bosses except twinbellows work in the game.

Palutena = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theia

Back