Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Microsoft's next version of Kinect will be able to recognize facial expressions and voice-command emotions, at least according to one report out today.

British site Eurogamer cites a "development source" who claims that the widely expected update to Kinect will be able to lip-read, can tell which direction the player is facing and can detect different emotions in voice-commands. The source claims that Microsoft's new technology fixes some of the data delivery issues of the first iteration.

The source said, "It can be cabled straight through on any number of technologies that just take phenomenally high res data straight to the main processor and straight to the main RAM and ask, what do you want to do with it?"

Last week, analyst Michael Pachter poured cold water on speculation that a new 'Xbox 720' will launch in 2012, suggesting that an updated Xbox 360 bundle would be a far more likely outcome.

source

be interesting to see if people would upgrade.

Cool, I hope there will be a lip movement to speech/text, so all you have to do is move your mouth, or whisper, and the Kinect will translate your lip movement to text, and speech in Xbox live, or for entering text in a game.

The Kinect already has voice commands.

If this is true this is going to be great and really broaden their audience aswell. As Sanaki said above impaired people would be able to use it and that would be more of an audience than they already have.

Could see there being problems though to be honest if they did have Kinect 2 with lip reading abilities.

If this is true this is going to be great and really broaden their audience aswell. As Sanaki said above impaired people would be able to use it and that would be more of an audience than they already have.

Could see there being problems though to be honest if they did have Kinect 2 with lip reading abilities.
lol shortie, it's naiwen. XD i use a different alias on every site. XD

Wow, talk about advancment in technology. I know the Kinect will be the wave but I'm personally not interested in all the Kinect's features. I like to keep it short, sweet, and simple. All I need is a place to play Gears of war and I'm A-OK.

They need to get kinect to operate with your normal digital cable box so you can say turn to a certain channel and it does it. It would be nice if you could say start the youtube app or open the twitter app and post this update. This is the innovative stuff I look for from microsoft.

Technology is really evolving. I would like to see a demo of how this works. What if you just speak jibberish, will it try to understand what you're saying?

I think before they work on the Kinect reading lips they need to work on it reading body movements. I don't know if it is me, but I feel like my Kinect isn't as accurate as it could be. For most things it is fine, but no games are able to use really precise controls due to the Kinect's limitations. Hopefully that will be improved in the next generation. It is understandable that the first types of motion sensing devices would have a few flaws.

I think before they work on the Kinect reading lips they need to work on it reading body movements. I don't know if it is me, but I feel like my Kinect isn't as accurate as it could be. For most things it is fine, but no games are able to use really precise controls due to the Kinect's limitations. Hopefully that will be improved in the next generation. It is understandable that the first types of motion sensing devices would have a few flaws.

^^This. I really don't see the point of thinking about new features when the old features need to be tightened up and improved first. Most of the games for Kinect are either really loose to control or they are lag pretty badly or they spaz at exactly the wrong time.

Back