Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
So yesterday the USA had its worse shooting to date, the death toll climbs closer to 100 with hundreds still injured/dying.

A horrible incident to say the least and I hope all those affected somehow pull through.

But a few things to take from this:

apparently anyone can legally buy machine guns here in the USA (da hell?)

Hospitals in a big city like Las Vegas can't handle anymore than a couple of hundred people at a time

And the media has no idea how to report this since they can pin no blame on anything since the shooter was an average joe with no history.

Don't know what to say anymore, to be honest. The US has a gun problem but half of the country won't admit it. I won't be surprised if nothing is done because I remember when little kids were shot and still nothing was done.

I heard about it yesterday afternoon. It's one of the worst, tragedies the US has had in a long time. I hate how politicians are using this time of grief to push their agendas. Plus, this was in Las Vegas, one of the most blue states with high gun laws and that wasn't able to stop it. People just don't understand that if someone wants a gun, they get one, legally or not. If we ban buying guns, shooters will still find a way to get one, it's just sad but true.

I also hate the media is trying to find something to blame. It's an old man who shot people. There doesn't have to be a reason. Not everything in the world is formulaic. He felt like doing it, so he did.

The fact it happened is already terrifying, but as usual, not everything is being told to you:
It disgusts me that the media refuses to tell the full truth. It disgusts me that people are celebrating the deaths of these people. It disgusts me that people are willing to say all white people are the problem. It disgusts me that politics is the central thing around this whole shooting. If anything, we need to stop this political system we have. Stop dividing Americans between two petty parties that don't even care about the people they claim to be for. American politics is only about one thing: itself. Hilary Clinton doesn't care about the American people, she only cares about her status. Donald Trump doesn't care about the American people... I don't even know wtf he's even doing. There's no such thing as a "good politician" and this whole party system is what's making this worse and worse and it's never going to get any better until its gone. Then people will starting thinking for themselves and making sacrifices of their beliefs and not blindly following one thing that claims to be all that.

Also want to add that foreign policy in all NATO countries AND countries allied with NATO have 1 central foreign policy.

And this foreign policy is exactly what creates all the wars in less stable countries like Libya, Syria, Iraq, Ukraine, North Korea, and maybe Venezuela too.
And it's also what makes all NATO countries and its allies believe that the attacked countries are evil, and therefore the mass killings of the people and leaders of the less stable countries is perfectly OK.

At the same time, certain countries are too powerful to attack directly, like Russia, China, and Iran, so none of these will ever see a war on their floors.
Instead, wars with these countries are being done in less powerful countries (this is called "proxy war").

I heard about it yesterday afternoon. It's one of the worst, tragedies the US has had in a long time. I hate how politicians are using this time of grief to push their agendas. Plus, this was in Las Vegas, one of the most blue states with high gun laws and that wasn't able to stop it. People just don't understand that if someone wants a gun, they get one, legally or not. If we ban buying guns, shooters will still find a way to get one, it's just sad but true.

I also hate the media is trying to find something to blame. It's an old man who shot people. There doesn't have to be a reason. Not everything in the world is formulaic. He felt like doing it, so he did.

I agree with what was said here. There are some people that don't obey the laws that we have now so they won't obey the laws that may be put into affect in the future. Besides, taking guns away from evil people will not stop evil people from being evil. They will find other ways to do their evil deeds, even if you are able to ban guns entirely. Just look what Timothy McVeigh did. Just look at what the terrorists did on 9/11. There are other ways to commit horrible acts of violence without firing a single shot from a gun.

RIP to the victims who died in the Las Vegas Shooting.

Hopefully, the survivors and their families and friends can find a way can find a way to deal with recovering from the shooting.

Every time a mass shooting happens people crawl out from the woodwork to call for harsher gun laws. But the problem is that harsher gun laws do not work. The only people they punish are the millions of law abiding gun owners. People who just want to own their guns in peace. Criminals do not care about laws. They'll buy guns on the black market. They'll steal guns from law abiding owners. I mean even the most expensive gun safes can be broken into relatively quickly by a determined criminal. (If you're lucky it might take them 30-40 minutes. Unlucky? 5 minutes. So really it's all about buying time.) Really smart criminals may even make their own guns through 3D printers or buying parts and self-assembling. Point is, if they want one bad enough then they will get one. No law will change that.

So I'll say again: No gun control law has, or ever will, stop gun violence. In fact tougher gun laws can make attacks worse. Look at Paris's most recent attack... In Paris the gun laws are absurdly tough. (No open/concealed carry, no more than 10 rounds per magazine, cannot own more than 1000 rounds per ammo type, must carry receipt of purchase of your firearm when going to range.) It makes a country of easy targets. Police are usually minutes away at best.
I know there are regions in Canada where if someone started shooting, it could easily be 15+ minutes before police could get there. In 15 minutes a lot has happened. Many people are dead/wounded. The shooter is probably not there anymore either by the time police arrive. If I have to wait for the police to come help me then I am dead or very close to it.

In Canada our laws about guns are incredibly strict...
- 5 round magazines in rifles, 10 for pistols.
- Daily background checks for anyone with a firearms license. (I don't recall offhand if the firearms office/RCMP can also inspect your home too. Wouldn't surprise me, but it may also be prevented under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms right to be free of unwarranted search and seizure.)
- No concealed or open carry (without special permission from the firearms office... which are usually not granted without some special circumstance.)
- Restricted firearms must be registered. Owner can only go to range with their gun. Owner must carry the registration with them when going to the range. Owner must take a reasonable direct route to and from range with no absolutely unnecessary stops along the way (so stop for a washroom break is fine, stopping for lunch? possibly fine, stopping to shop at walmart? Not a chance.)
- Firearms must be stored either in a safe or triggerlocked and out of sight. If stored in the open then ammo must not be stored near the gun and/or locked up. Firearm may never be loaded during storage. (If it has a removable magazine then the magazine can be loaded, but it has to be either stored in a safe or locked away from the gun.)
- Certain guns are flat out banned (basically anything that is used by the military). Others are deemed restricted on appearance alone (EX- AR-15 variants. A Bushmaster XM-15 is restricted whereas a Robinson Armament XCR-L is an unrestricted. They're both AR-15s with 5 round magazines. The only difference is the XM-15 has a 2 inch shorter barrel. It's is 16" whereas the XCR-L is 18". That's it. )

When it comes to firearms the general public is pretty stupid. They know nothing about firearms. They are basing their opinions on:
- what media claims they are, often by people who have no idea (EX- Fox news or Jimmy Kimmel).
- what the gun looks like (wood and metal = hunting, metal and black = scary terror weapon).
- what politicans claim they are (ex- the constant use of assault weapon).

Though in truth in the US gun laws are stricter than people think. You cannot go to a gunshow and buy a gun without a background check. Fully automatic firearms are heavily restricted and in many cases simply not available to the general public. (You need a special license to own any made after 1986.) Silencers/Suppressors have an 8-12 month wait (plus a $200 dollar tax on top of the purchase price) and are typically not used in commission of crimes.

Plus the things people suggest for gun control are either already done (background checks) or don't work (magazine limits). People like to think that magazine limits will help but truth is, even a relatively novice shooter can drop a magazine and click a new one in in only a few seconds. A little proof from the Boone County Sheriff's department shows this...

So what does this mean for this current massacre? It's a tragedy but really nothing could have been done. This psychopath planned out this attack and practised it over and over. They knew what they were doing, kept it secret and went out to harm people. It's terrible and it sucks, but there'd have been no way to stop it. I mean, from what I understand, this guy had no issues in his background. So nothing to stop him from buying legal guns. If there was though he'd have simply found another way.

Every time a mass shooting happens people crawl out from the woodwork to call for harsher gun laws. But the problem is that harsher gun laws do not work. The only people they punish are the millions of law abiding gun owners. People who just want to own their guns in peace. Criminals do not care about laws. They'll buy guns on the black market. They'll steal guns from law abiding owners. I mean even the most expensive gun safes can be broken into relatively quickly by a determined criminal. (If you're lucky it might take them 30-40 minutes. Unlucky? 5 minutes. So really it's all about buying time.) Really smart criminals may even make their own guns through 3D printers or buying parts and self-assembling. Point is, if they want one bad enough then they will get one. No law will change that.

So I'll say again: No gun control law has, or ever will, stop gun violence. In fact tougher gun laws can make attacks worse. Look at Paris's most recent attack... In Paris the gun laws are absurdly tough. (No open/concealed carry, no more than 10 rounds per magazine, cannot own more than 1000 rounds per ammo type, must carry receipt of purchase of your firearm when going to range.) It makes a country of easy targets. Police are usually minutes away at best.
I know there are regions in Canada where if someone started shooting, it could easily be 15+ minutes before police could get there. In 15 minutes a lot has happened. Many people are dead/wounded. The shooter is probably not there anymore either by the time police arrive. If I have to wait for the police to come help me then I am dead or very close to it.

In Canada our laws about guns are incredibly strict...
- 5 round magazines in rifles, 10 for pistols.
- Daily background checks for anyone with a firearms license. (I don't recall offhand if the firearms office/RCMP can also inspect your home too. Wouldn't surprise me, but it may also be prevented under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms right to be free of unwarranted search and seizure.)
- No concealed or open carry (without special permission from the firearms office... which are usually not granted without some special circumstance.)
- Restricted firearms must be registered. Owner can only go to range with their gun. Owner must carry the registration with them when going to the range. Owner must take a reasonable direct route to and from range with no absolutely unnecessary stops along the way (so stop for a washroom break is fine, stopping for lunch? possibly fine, stopping to shop at walmart? Not a chance.)
- Firearms must be stored either in a safe or triggerlocked and out of sight. If stored in the open then ammo must not be stored near the gun and/or locked up. Firearm may never be loaded during storage. (If it has a removable magazine then the magazine can be loaded, but it has to be either stored in a safe or locked away from the gun.)
- Certain guns are flat out banned (basically anything that is used by the military). Others are deemed restricted on appearance alone (EX- AR-15 variants. A Bushmaster XM-15 is restricted whereas a Robinson Armament XCR-L is an unrestricted. They're both AR-15s with 5 round magazines. The only difference is the XM-15 has a 2 inch shorter barrel. It's is 16" whereas the XCR-L is 18". That's it. )

When it comes to firearms the general public is pretty stupid. They know nothing about firearms. They are basing their opinions on:
- what media claims they are, often by people who have no idea (EX- Fox news or Jimmy Kimmel).
- what the gun looks like (wood and metal = hunting, metal and black = scary terror weapon).
- what politicans claim they are (ex- the constant use of assault weapon).

Though in truth in the US gun laws are stricter than people think. You cannot go to a gunshow and buy a gun without a background check. Fully automatic firearms are heavily restricted and in many cases simply not available to the general public. (You need a special license to own any made after 1986.) Silencers/Suppressors have an 8-12 month wait (plus a $200 dollar tax on top of the purchase price) and are typically not used in commission of crimes.

Plus the things people suggest for gun control are either already done (background checks) or don't work (magazine limits). People like to think that magazine limits will help but truth is, even a relatively novice shooter can drop a magazine and click a new one in in only a few seconds. A little proof from the Boone County Sheriff's department shows this...

So what does this mean for this current massacre? It's a tragedy but really nothing could have been done. This psychopath planned out this attack and practised it over and over. They knew what they were doing, kept it secret and went out to harm people. It's terrible and it sucks, but there'd have been no way to stop it. I mean, from what I understand, this guy had no issues in his background. So nothing to stop him from buying legal guns. If there was though he'd have simply found another way.

There is a lot of this that I agree with. I mean, I'm not saying we shouldn't have any gun laws but I'm a law abiding citizen and not a career criminal. The career criminals are the ones that you have to worry about, not the law abiding citizens who will be the only ones obeying the laws you put into place.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be gun laws either. But I am saying making new ones on a whim to appease a frightened public is not a good plan either. In Canada this is what happened with the Ecole Polytechnique massacre.

Prior to 1995 handguns with under 4 inch barrels were ok, but after that they became a prohibited firearm meaning no one could own them.
They outlawed .32 and .25 in handgun calibre.
Anyone who owns prohibited firearms may only pass them down in specific circumstances otherwise they are to be sent to the RCMP (Police) for destruction.
Firearms can be reclassified by the RCMP at any time with no warning. So suddenly owning an AR-15 that goes from Non-Restricted to Restricted can make a person an instant criminal if they don't have a restricted firearms license.
Failure to register a restricted firearm is also an offence. If they class a firearm prohibited then you're supposed to give it up, for destruction. And to add insult to injury they're under no obligation to provide compensation for this compulsory destruction.
Additionally to transport a restricted firearm the owner would have to call the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of their area to get a piece of paper granting them permission to transport it (called an Authorization to Transport or ATT). The only acceptable places were a range or the gunsmith. (Thankfully now this bit has been modified as of September 2015 so the ATT is now connected to the Restricted License itself. No need to call the CFO to ask for the ATT.)

In that case all it did was make loads of legal loopholes that could entrap people. So don't repeat our mistake. I mean just recently the RCMP decided to make the Ruger 10/22 magazines (normally a 10+ magazine) prohibited. So overnight, with no warning, owners of these magazines became criminals through no fault of their own and without any possible redress. There was no appeal system. It was destroy the magazine or permanently pin it to 10. Even more annoying was that not all retailers got that memo so some were still selling prohibited items. (How's that for great laws? Buy a new magazine, from a legal gun shop, for your gun and before you walk out the door you're a criminal and don't even know it. The RCMP could stop you and order you to turn it over or face prosecution with a sentence of up to 10 years. Pretty fair right? )

Back