Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
A flood of new information about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has just come in from overseas, care of our Japan-based freelance reporter, Kiera McNeice, and our friends over at 1up. Zelda bigwig Eiji Aonuma recently shared some more details about the franchise's upcoming console release in a recent interview with Japanese magazine Famitsu.

While we've all been twiddling our thumbs, dying to hear a solid release date for Skyward Sword, it turns out we might not have to wait much longer. "The whole game is complete, and we're fine-tuning the balance right now," Aonuma said. "We were going to have it wholly done by around E3, but there's so much volume to it, neither I nor [Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto] have gotten to fully play out every aspect."

As it turns out, the game is not only finished, but the team is "trying to make this a simultaneous worldwide release." The reason is because "you have to put Zelda all out at once or else the story's going to get spoiled."

As he represents a third of the Triforce, Ganon is usually the main antagonist in Zelda games. But since we already know Skyward Sword is set to be the earliest game in the Zelda timeline, it makes sense that Ganon hasn't risen to power yet. Even though it looks like he won't be the main baddie this time around, certain events in this title should shed some light on how and why he appeared in the first place.

"This game talks about the birth of the Master Sword, and it touches on why Ganondorf showed up," Aonuma said. "If you play it, I think you'll get some understanding on that. It connects to Ocarina, so if you play Ocarina of Time 3D and move on to this game, I think you'll catch on to a lot of things."

Breaking Zelda tradition, the titular princess will be setting aside her crown during Skyward Sword. "She's not a princess this time, which is something I'll pretty much have to put forth right now in order to talk about this title," he said. "She's a childhood friend, but she goes away in the midst of the game and it's Link's job to search for her."

In fact, Link and Zelda aren't just childhood friends, they're also schoolmates, and this new dynamic is set to affect how the story in Skyward Sword unfolds. "This game's plot is something like a school drama, you could say," he said. "The flying sequence at the E3 demo is Link competing against his classmates. One of them looks kind of a like a bad guy, as you saw, and he shows up in other ways in the game too, since he has a major thing for Zelda."

more here

so this is before OoT, I must get this game!

Back