Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
A friend of mine wishes to make a video game, which uses custom made 3D images. We got a story and some creatures made but the difficult part is getting this all programmed and working on a PC.

Anyone know some sites that could help him in the programming area and getting the game put together?

I've made 2D games before, but 3D, this is what i'm looking for, Try Game Maker as a kick start.

Yes, Go to to Advanced mode to have an advanced program, right click Sprites Directory and choose create sprite then click edit sprite, then click the second button import.

If you have a more powerful computer (better than a core 2 duo laptop anyway...), you might want to look into the Unreal Engine. (It's freely available, and you don't have to pay anything to Epic Games unless you start selling a finished version.)

It has tools to import 3D models in a variety of formats (like it can import from Blender and Maya, probably photoshop and GIMP too. But you'll want to look into that yourself to be certain what it can import from.) 

It has a built in AI system so you can easily set enemy AI/actions (though if you are familiar with C++ you can code your own custom set ups). And I'd imagine there are resource sites which can give you custom AI parts along with other resources.
And the level/world builder is fairly easy to use. (I mean I had a pretty basic world set up in about 30-40 minutes of just tinkering around. Anyone with more skill could create pretty good looking worlds without too much fuss since the hardest part is actually creating the 3D elements themselves.) 

Otherwise a free game maker is probably your best bet.

You could try using Unity and Autodesk 3DS Max. That's what I am using for mine. I've seen many tutorials of how they do things and it's pretty sweet, IMO.

Unreal is too expensive. Unity is expensive but not as expensive. 3DS Max is outdated. Use Blender. It's not paid.

Also, I'm making a platform, so I might as well say you should wait for that. :p

Your mate should be looking into Unity (which recently made it free to export to iOS and Android) or UDK if they specifically want to develop in 3D. They're both free until you get x amount of profits (you'll need to double check how much they are but it is several tens of thousands so don't worry too much).

With regards to the programming, he/she should look around the Developer Support forums on the respective websites. Learning a language helps too. C# and JavaScript-which-isnt-really-JavaScript is used with Unity and UDK uses UnrealScript and C++.

With regards to the 3D modelling, I suggest go with Blender as it is free and open source. Autodesk offer Maya (standard for 3D animation) and 3D Studio Max for free for students (non-commercial) but if they are not a student or want to sell the game then a proper license is quite expensive (which is why I recommend Blender).

VirusZero said:
If you have a more powerful computer (better than a core 2 duo laptop anyway...), you might want to look into the Unreal Engine. (It's freely available, and you don't have to pay anything to Epic Games unless you start selling a finished version.)

It has tools to import 3D models in a variety of formats (like it can import from Blender and Maya, probably photoshop and GIMP too. But you'll want to look into that yourself to be certain what it can import from.) 

It has a built in AI system so you can easily set enemy AI/actions (though if you are familiar with C++ you can code your own custom set ups). And I'd imagine there are resource sites which can give you custom AI parts along with other resources.
And the level/world builder is fairly easy to use. (I mean I had a pretty basic world set up in about 30-40 minutes of just tinkering around. Anyone with more skill could create pretty good looking worlds without too much fuss since the hardest part is actually creating the 3D elements themselves.) 

Otherwise a free game maker is probably your best bet.
Sounds Interesting, i may play with the Trial version of it.
DCoachM said:
You could try using Unity and Autodesk 3DS Max. That's what I am using for mine. I've seen many tutorials of how they do things and it's pretty sweet, IMO.
3DS Max never worked for me, it says License error or something.

Go here and enter exactly what I tell you. Goto student.autodesk.com and register. Then go back and log in, and download the 3DS Max software. It's completely free and the full version. I use it and it's awesome. You can also get other software from there free as well.

When it asks you where you go to school, scroll to bottom of the list and put home school.

Go here and enter exactly what I tell you. Goto student.autodesk.com and register. Then go back and log in, and download the 3DS Max software. It's completely free and the full version. I use it and it's awesome. You can also get other software from there free as well.

When it asks you where you go to school, scroll to bottom of the list and put home school.

Just pointing it out, only the student Autodesk licenses are free and they cannot be used for commercial use.

fantanoice said:
Just pointing it out, only the student Autodesk licenses are free and they cannot be used for commercial use.
Yeah, you should all read the terms of service to anything proprietary that you download for free.

DCoachM said:

hmm... I will try it.

Back