Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Before you Buy

From what I hear, yes. So long as you don't mind some glitches patched.

If you don't own Mario Kart 8, there's literally zero reason to pick the Wii U version over the Deluxe version on Switch. The latter has more content for the same amount of money, a better battle mode, improved features, extra characters and the actual possibility of updates in the foreseeable future (plus an online service that likely won't shut down any time soon). So if you don't own the game, get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It's the only logical choice.

If you do own Mario Kart 8 on Wii U... then I'd probably say buy it in most cases, since as said it's much more portable due to the different console and the improved features are nice to have (and as also mentioned, online will likely stay up much longer). But it's a lot less of a necessary purchase there, and personally I'm saving my money for Switch exclusives instead.

Luckily Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U has held its value pretty well. You could probably sell it and only have to scrounge up an extra $20 to get Deluxe.

I was planning on getting this game, if I was able to get the Switch. I've always gotten the Mario Kart games when I've gotten a Nintendo console. I've heard it had come with some extras that the previous game didn't have.

1. It'll have the most racing tracks in a Mario Kart game.
2. I think you can pick up two items at once and swap between them.
3. It's the latest MK game. Online for MK8 (original) might get lower in activity and MK8 Deluxe will eventually get more players.

Do I really need to go on? :p

Back