Memes in video game localisations; yay or nay?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Well, there was a bit of controversy over that doge reference in Tri Force Heroes last year, and the Fire Emblem Awakening fiasco brought complaints about Nintendo of America trying to change the script too much...

So what do you think?

Do you like it when game translations use internet memes and jokes? Pokemon did it in generation 4...

And the Mario RPGs use them to death:

But what do you think? Memes; yay or nay?

I believe Memes are okay when used in moderation. Pick your timing carefully. A meme used in a bad spot is the same as a good joke with a terrible punchline. For anyone who's played or seen gameplay footage, you should no about the 'the cake is a lie' meme in Fallout 4. That was something I found amusing. It was a nice nudge to Portal and it wasn't over done. Not being able to get the cake didn't play a part in the story and it was more of a flavor decoration for the wastes. Something you might stumble upon and have your hopes crushed.

Developers just have to be careful when they use memes. Even if they manage to get a good one in, someone out there won't find it funny. It's hit or miss. I personally enjoy most memes and references I find in games.

I thought I had answer this thread but probably I just left my opinion in another thread with a similar discussion. I think a discrete meme is fine, something that won't make people who doesn't get the reference to have trouble comprehending what is being said or what the game expect from them.

During my younger days on the netz I picked up some expressions and stuff that I didn't even realised they were the memes of the day, things like "no soup for you". I thought it was funny but I didn't know of TV shows in English as I was just learning the language. Still because they were well applied they stuck in a good way as the idea was understood.

The problem with memes is that some burn out and become cringey, is like hearing someone young saying "groovy" nowadays. It feels out of place. Outdated. You have to make sure what you choose will still somehow make sense without becoming too cringey. Not being in your face helps a lot as you feel special figuring it out.It is more of an easter egg than anything. Compare Its-a-me of Assassin's Creed versus the Transformers detail.

Back