Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
As explained by Microsoft, “while a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.”

“With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

"In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends."

Microsoft added "because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing. "

-------

“We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.”

Microsoft says "your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you." The company added that “Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.”
It's worth noting that Microsoft allows you to gift games to friends but they can't borrow them. Microsoft added that "loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners."

Xbox One will also allow you to give up to 10 family members access to "log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One." Similar to Xbox 360, "a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."
According to Xbox's official site, "at Microsoft, we prioritize your privacy. We understand that your personal data and privacy are important. Xbox One and Kinect will provide tools to put you in control of your data."

Microsoft stresses that "you are in control of what Kinect can see and hear. By design, you will determine how responsive and personalized your Xbox One is to you and your family during setup. The system will navigate you through key privacy options, like automatic or manual sign in, privacy settings, and clear notifications about how data is used. When Xbox One is on and you’re simply having a conversation in your living room, your conversation is not being recorded or uploaded."
Players will also control whether Kinect is on, off or paused. "If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say 'Xbox Off.' When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- 'Xbox On,' and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences."

Your personal data will never be available to anyone outside of your console, Microsoft stressed. "You can play games or enjoy applications that use data, such as videos, photos, facial expressions, heart rate and more, but this data will not leave your Xbox One without your explicit permission."
source

Well the Internet males sender considering you need to be online to play online anyway, but the used game policy is still dumb.

I know in storm hit areas the Xbox 360 will be nearly useless if you lose internet due to the storms. There is also the problem of game systems on military bases and anywhere else where internet may not be completely accessible 24/7.

Not the 360, the One will be. And you can still play offline though, right?

The 24 hour Online Only feature is kind of annoying.

But, most people have Smartphones which has Wi-Fi internet, and an active Data plan, and there are Wi-Fi sharing Apps for using to share Wi-Fi with laptops, Game consoles, and Desktops with Wi-Fi, and you could use your Smartphone's Data internet to briefly connect your Xbox to the internet to check to see if your games are legit, so even if your Internet is down, you can still briefly use your Smartphone's Data plan to connect to the internet, or permanently use your Smartphone's data if you have an unlimited, or higher data cap like 40GB data plan.

If games are cheaper like 1.00-30.00+ US dollars for new games, I think most people wouldn't care as much with Used games policy since a lot of Steam PC gamers, and Mobile gamers on Apple iOS, Google Play, and Amazon App store dobn't complain as often at not being to re-sell games which they bought since the game prices aren't as high as console games.

You can search Google Play's or Apple iOS App store for Wi-Fi tethering, or Wi-Fi connection sharing app which are apps which turns your phone into a Wi-Fi router/hotspot which you can use to share your Phone's data plan with other Wi-Fi devices like DS, Vita, Laptop, Tablet, and other.

The Apps should be pretty easy to use. You just need to manually make a username, and password for your phone's wi-fi signal.

Verizon offers a mobile hotspot with any smart phone. DS, you're bad with technology. :p

There are $25.00 USB wireless 4G cellular modems from NetZero which includes 200MB of free data every months which should be enough to check to see if an Xbox One is legit since online checks usually just compare a license key which is text and numbers, so it should not use too much data.

I think USB Modems might work for the Xbox One since the Xbox One has USB Ports, or you can plug the 4G USB modem  on your PC, and use the Wi-Fi sharing program built-into Windows Vista-8, or mHotspot to share a 4G connection with other wireless devices by converting 4G to Wi-Fi.

A Hotspot from a cell phone company would be easiest since you don't need to use an app, or setup the username. I think you just need to make a pasword to protect your connections from hackers.

No way I'm buying the One now. I mean yeah Froggy I see your point in that you can use tethering if your internet dies, but that means I now have to pay 30 bucks more for data charges just in case my internet happens to die for a while? Also what about people who don't have smart phones. Usually those are the people who also have shotty connections because they can't afford the best ISP package. It seems Microsoft is just throwing poor gamers under the bus.

I feel like this needs more details from Microsoft;

Xbox One will also allow you to give up to 10 family members access to "log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One." Similar to Xbox 360, "a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."
It says that we can give 10 family members access and that any one of them can play it at a given time. Does that mean that I can play my brother's copy of Battlefield 4 - but not when he or anyone else is playing it? Is it literally just family? Do they have some verification system where you need to prove that they're a family member and not just a friend?

Back