froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
On August 2nd, Microsoft released the Anniversary Update for Windows 10 and when the bits arrived on computers around the globe, it brought with it new features and also broke webcams for millions of consumers. If your webcam has stopped functioning since the release of the Anniversary update, you are not alone but the good news is a fix is coming, hopefully in September.

This issue impacts a wide variety of webcams including the popular Logitech C920 that both Paul and I use for podcasting. Paul has been having this issue for months where every time the camera tries to go into HD on a video call, it would freeze and now I am experiencing this issue as well. When Paul started having these issues a few months ago, we figured it was either a bad driver from Logitech or possibly even the Skylake CPU.

Read More

Not having a working webcam in 2016 is very disappointing, and limiting to some users. A lot of online workers, people, and disabled people use a webcam to communicate, and make money full-time in some cases like being a Twitch game streamer or online eating show host on a website which get paid to livestream themelves playing games, and eating food.

A lot of online workers who use a webcam for live streaming on Twitch, YouTube, Skype, and other video services must be upset if this broken Windows 10 Anniversary update is preventing them from using their webcam for work.

There are also some offline workers who maybe using a webcam as a cheap security camera. Some teachers may use as a video camera to record video messages and tutorial lessons for other teachers and students to watch, and learn from.

People who use a webcam to video chat with their friends, children, grand children, and strangers are most likely frustrated as well because the Anniversary Update prevented their webcam from working in Windows 10.

Having a broken webcam must be disappointing for people who rely on using their Webcam as a way to input data into their computer with a webcam software for disabled users with a broken hand, and speech disability which makes speech to text not work for them.

Some people may use a webcam as their main way of communication because they can't type because they have a broken arm, and they have speech problems where they can't talk wall it is useful for the person they are communicating with to see their lip and mouth movement.

*lols hard*

Uhhhh yeah, ouch though. That would suck.

I wonder if people can start a lawsuit because of an Update which broke their webcam, and is preventing them from working as a online livestreamer who livestream themselves playing games, or eating, or workers like Technical support technician rely on their webcam to videochat with their customers.

I own an Logitech C920 myself and love it. I don't use it that much since My laptops have an built in. And one of the built in does work but I don't know about the other since it hasn't been undated since 4 months ago

I wonder if people can start a lawsuit because of an Update which broke their webcam, and is preventing them from working as a online livestreamer who livestream themselves playing games, or eating, or workers like Technical support technician rely on their webcam to videochat with their customers.

it breaks it then that is a perfect opportunity for a lawsuit.

it breaks it then that is a perfect opportunity for a lawsuit.

I think these webcam problems caused by a Windows Update may help existing lawsuits related to Windows like the Trio who filed class-action suit against Microsoft over Windows 10. "Florida Windows users Al Khafaji, Ahmad Abdulreda and Robert Stahl filed the suit in a federal court, claiming that Microsoft "coerced" them into upgrading to Windows 10 and that the "unintentional" upgrades broke their machines."

"Plaintiffs were coerced into adopting Windows 10 or had Windows 10 installed in various unintentional manners with subsequent damage to their computers after which Plaintiffs sustained unnecessary and avoidable stress, confusion, loss of time and significant monetary damage all at the hands of Defendant."

The Judge and the Jury maybe more likely to be on the side of the Trio's Windows 10 problem because the Judge and Jury experience the recent Anniversary automatic update which killed their webcam on their Windows 10 PC, or they are more aware of Windows Update problems because their friends or family members webcam on their Windows 10 PC no longer works because of a failed Windows Update.

But, I wonder would the cash payout be lower since the update mostly messed up people's webcam where it does not stop most people from doing their non-webcam job unless the person is a livestreamer, YouTube Creator, Webcam Podcastor, or Reporter who use their webcam to livestream or record themselves to use the video as part of their job to make money. Some popular video creators with this webcam problem maybe losing hundreds to thousands of dollars a day if they don't know how to fix their webcam, or don't have another computer with a functional webcam, so they can continue to use a webcam for work.

I don't know what MS's plan is with W10, but it will cost them money.

I agree Windows 10 will cost MS money from lawsuits from people who's work PC got automatically updated to Windows 10 without their permission, and Windows 10 preventing people from working because it broke their PC, or parts of their PC like their webcam, SSD, sound card, etc.

MS probably need to hire more technical support staff to deal with the large amount of Windows help calls, e-mails, and posts which they are getting from users who need help to fix their Windows 10 problems.

I think Windows 10 is losing users who are switching to older versions of Windows, Linux, Apple Mac, and other operating systems because they don't want to risk their business's computers from becoming broken from a bad update like this one which broke webcams from working.

MS would probably need to spend a lot of money on advertising to try to convince people that buying a Windows 10 PC is worth it at this time when many webcams no longer work for Windows 10 because of a bad update.

I'm definitely like windows 7 then 10 regarding the os itself that is reliable. Windows 10 has allot of great options and built in and easy to use and also built for speed and gaming is better.

My Laptop got updated twice this week, and gotta say I definitely don't like the layout where the shut down and logout button is located, why? I hate it now. It has taken me an extra 5 seconds to shut it off since its under the setting button

I agree the layout of the Startmenu in Windows 10 is kind of confusing compared to Windows 7 and below where it seems faster, and easier to use.

There has been another update for me again, only an small one. damn so much updates this month

Back