froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft pushed out its Windows 10 Build 14942 to Windows Insiders today. Although the latest build contains several improvements, it will result in higher RAM usage for most users.

The End Of Svchost

Microsoft started to use grouped service host processes (svchost.exe) with the introduction of Windows 2000 as a method to conserve available memory. Microsoft continues to use svchosts today, but it isn't as necessary because the amount of RAM in typical computers has significantly increased.

A key feature of Build 14942 is the end of svchosts on systems that have more than 3.5GB of RAM installed. Instead, each service will run as a separate process. Microsoft said that this would increase service reliability, and it will increase transparency because you'll be able to see which services are running. It will also increase RAM usage somewhat, however, which could have a negative impact on devices with only 4GB of memory.

Read More

The increase RAM usage must be disappointing for people who only have 4GB of RAM. At least people with 3.5 GB or less RAM won't see any RAM usage increase in Windows 10 when this update is released.

Makes me glad I have 12 GB of RAM in my machines.

Back