froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
A big part of Mincraft's success is how the game is available on basically every platform you can think of. Today, that list got one longer: Minecraft is now available on the Apple TV. As usual, it's the Minecraft experience you know and perhaps love, but with a few things missing. Namely, the multiplayer Minecraft Realms and Xbox Live support, though the developers say those features will be added in the "near future." The $19.99 entry price gets you the game as well as seven DLC packs: the Holiday 2015, Town Folk and City Folk skin packs as well as the Plastic, Natural, Cartoon, and Festive 2016 "mash-ups."

Read More

This is good news for people who don't own a console which can play Minecraft. But, they own the Apple TV.

But, $19.99 is kind of expensive since you can get a physical disc copy of Minecraft for the Xbox 360 or PS3 for less than $16 on Amazon or eBay.

A game truly on every platform

Someone has to let me know how well it plays with the Apple TV Remote.

"Minecraft: Apple TV Edition requires a MFi-based game controller."

Minecraft iTunes page

It looks like you need an MFI-based controller made for the Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, and other Apple devices, and a Bluetooth controller would not work.

How does it preform? I remember trying an Apple TV in an Apple store a couple of months back and a game was pre-loaded onto the thing. It ran at around 10 frames per second and put me off even considering buying it.

How does it preform? I remember trying an Apple TV in an Apple store a couple of months back and a game was pre-loaded onto the thing. It ran at around 10 frames per second and put me off even considering buying it.

I'm not sure how well Minecraft runs. Minecraft for Apple TV has a 4 Star rating from 31 users, so it may run well since apps with high ratings like 4-5 stars run well.

I saw a few videos on YouTube of people playing games on the new Apple TV, and it runs at playable framerates.

A lot of electronics at stores may not be very well maintained because they may not have been restarted for many months, and are filled with thirdparty apps which did not come with the device. Some costumers install a lot of third-party apps and games onto the Apple TV and iPads to test out the app or game, and don't close or uninstall them when they are finish using the app or game.

Problems like low disk space, and high CPU and ram usage because the device was not being restarted in months, and many third-party apps running in the background can make electronics like the Apple TV and iPad slower overtime.

"Minecraft: Apple TV Edition requires a MFi-based game controller."

Minecraft iTunes page

It looks like you need an MFI-based controller made for the Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, and other Apple devices, and a Bluetooth controller would not work.

I noticed that when I checked it out. I'm not gonna spend $20 for it and buy a controller when I have it on PC and iPad. Would be cool to see though.

I noticed that when I checked it out. I'm not gonna spend $20 for it and buy a controller when I have it on PC and iPad. Would be cool to see though.

I think the $20 price is kind of expensive for a digital non-PC TV game.

But, the controller is a reasonable requirement since Minecraft works best with a controller or mouse and keyboard. There are cheaper, and used/refurbished MFi controller for around $30 on eBay or Amazon. $30 and up is an okay price for a controller since many controllers cost $50 and up.

Back