froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Since it first went live in October 2010, indy block-building PC game Minecraft has generated $80 million USD in revenue.
For a just-launched block-building PC game, Minecraft has generated a lot of money in its short lifespan: $80 million USD (540m Swedish krona). Technically the game has been available since October 2010, but the final "retail" product didn't go live until November 2011. Still, $80 million is impressive for a first title from a small developer consisting of only 25 employees, and no publisher in sight.

According to Financial Times, Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson is not only the co-founder, but the largest shareholder in Mojang. His earnings are dumped into a separate company, but he reportedly decided to share his $3.7 million with the rest of the company, divided out equally. Much of that $80 million was earned before Minecraft was ported over to mobile phones (and soon the Xbox 360).

Despite a lack of a console port, the game reportedly didn't really take off until younger gamers discovered the indy title, attracted to it's Lego-like mechanics. Up until then, the core Minecraft audience was the hardcore PC gamer crowd in their 20s and 30s.
"The core mechanic is very similar to Lego – the simplicity of placing and removing blocks and you can do whatever your imagination tells you to do," said Mojang chief executive Carl Manneh. "That’s the strength. The side effect is that when you build something, you have the urge to show it off to someone."

Outside the actual game sales, Mojang is likely picking up a few extra bucks thanks to merchandising. Just recently the studio revealed a project with Lego that will bring Minecraft-themed sets to the market. Fans can also purchase shirts, socks, wallets, scarfs -- you name it, it's probably out there. It wouldn't be surprising to see Minecraft figurines on store shelves in the near future including creepers, zombies, chickens all the other blocky Minecraft creatures.
"We’ve been approached by a number of high-profile Hollywood producers and asked to do TV shows," Manneh said. "We may do that. It’s hard when you don’t have any experience and someone comes to throw these ideas around. We have so much to focus on with just the game development and growing the business. But if the right idea comes along and the right people that we’d want to work with, we’d say why not?"

Minecraft for the Xbox 360 is slated to land on Microsoft's network on May 9. Minecraft Pocket Edition for Android and iOS just received an update which finally added the Survival mode, an optional control scheme, better flying controls and pigs. So far 25,022,414 people have registered and 5,368,466 people bought the PC version. Over one million "copies" of Pocket Edition has been sold thus far, making it Google Play's most world-wide downloaded app.

Tom's Hardware

Wow, that is a lot of cash made for a game which is like Lego.

It's become a very addictive game for something that started as a side project and I think they well deserve to make that much on it. Development is really going great with it's most recent versions.

Not to mention the Xbox edition that just came out not to long ago which is generating a good amount of money.

Is this a mobile game?
How much does it cost?
What phones can I use it on?

Man, I generate like $300 a month, so I generate $2400 in 18 months...

I don't quite get it.
Do you mean you make actual real money from playing this game? How do you do it?

Minecraft has both a desktop game and a mobile game. You can play it on Windows, Mac, Linux, and other desktop operating systems.

There are also mobile versions of Minecraft for Google Android, and Apple iPhone/ipod touch/iPad which are mobile operating system. It is also available for Xbox 360.

It costs $26.95.

I have to say, I love this game and I've been playing it since the early beta stages. One of my friends introduced me to it and I got hooked instantly. When I was little I would sit and play with Lego's for hours, so this was perfect for me! I especially like how there is such a big modding community to make cool plugins and add-ons that really add to the game a lot. To name a few, I use TooManyItems, RedPower, BuildCraft, and some others (all required for the Tekkit server I run). Any other mods that I should check out for my server?

Absolutely amazing.

What's funny is how little it costs to get a good team of developer friends together, and then turn that into $80 million.

Is anyone playing and enjoying this on the XBox? I don't play on PC, but I have a strong interest in this game. Is it worth getting for a console or shoud I wait until it's on sale? Also, how does the MP work in this game? Does one player go over to another's lot and just start helping out with the building? One more question, the nights that the creepers come out in, how long in game time does the night last?

I only play it on the PC because it came out first on it. They had that free future updates for life when it was like $10~$15. Though they haven't made anyone pay for any yet, I don't think. But it is funny how all these simple games end up being funner/replayable than most newer ones. :happy:

Back