froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
It was only a matter of time and it’s finally happened; mobile internet usage worldwide has finally surpassed the traditional desktop/PC. The results come via a report from StatCounter, originally reported on via TechChrunch, that states that 51.2 of internet usage in October 2016 was performed via mobile devices compared to just 48.7% from desktop.

Read More

Mobile phones and tablets are cheaper, so there maybe more people who use them to browse the web.

But, I think a survey with a lot of voters from around the world would be a more accurate way of finding out the percentage of real people who use a PC or phone to browse the web.

Relying on Statcounter or Google Analytics may count the millions of bots online which either uses a desktop, mobile, or no user agent profile to visit a website.

Bots are not real people because bots are made with software which visit websites to do tasks like make a site or video on a website look like it has more traffic to make it look like it is worth more money.

I bet, some mobile users maybe using a tablet, smartphone, Android based Mini PC, 2-in-1 tablet like the Microsoft Surface Pro with a keyboard, and an Android based emulator software like Bluestacks on Windows, and Mac PC at the same time which may make it look like more people are using mobile devices to browse websites when it is just many people using 2 or more mobile devices at once to browse the web.

A lot of desktop and laptops at homes, libraries, schools, and work places are also shared with many users, so one PC can have many users per day.

Thought this happened earlier to be honest.

But yeah, automated surveys might not be the best way of testing this stuff. Bots are ridiculously common now, as are other programs which use fake user agents and what not.

DDoS/Denial of service attacks which overloads a website server are also more common. I think some DDoS bots may use mobile user agents because mobile user agents may look less likely to be part of a DDoS attack because DDoS attacks are usually performed by virus infected desktop computers.

There are most likely mobile viruses which makes smartphone part of a DDoS attack by secretly visiting a website in the background.

Kind of surprised really, I have used mobile internet and its not the greatest.

I agree mobile web browsing is not a good experience. But, it is usable for certain types of sites like celebrity gossip news and social networking sites which mostly post short articles.

I think if you use the internet for work, school/online classes, reading long articles, and watching educational videos, a desktop web browser is still the best way to browse the web.

I agree mobile web browsing is not a good experience. But, it is usable for certain types of sites like celebrity gossip news and social networking sites which mostly post short articles.

I think if you use the internet for work, school/online classes, reading long articles, and watching educational videos, a desktop web browser is still the best way to browse the web.

well for school, its the best way to cheat on a test.

You have to look at how many people are out and about nowadays who want to be connected all the time and using the internet all the time. Many end up using mobile phones over PC's and such because they are out more. I also have friends who don't own any kind of PC and just use their phones for internet which could also be why internet usage on a phone has passed desktop.

well for school, its the best way to cheat on a test.

I think using a phone to cheat is not the best way if your class is smaller, and the teacher is basically sitting right beside you. I think some schools require you to turn-off your phone, or leave it in a bag while you are taking a test or when in class.

Back