Mobile phones killed handheld gaming

NameGervin

Full GL Member
Credits
I really hate it that some of the game developers are now focusing on mobile games. We even got Super Mario and Fire Emblem on mobile phones. I hate to say this but this might be the end of handheld gaming devices. My friends, most of them, now prefers mobile phones over a 3DS/ Switch/ Vita (Best JRPG machine). Some of their reason are because of free online games, much smaller and of course they can check their social media with it and edit photos and such. Do you agree that game developers should focus on mobile phones than handheld gaming devices?

I never get to try gaming consoles because first, consoles are damn pricey (and it's not worth the investment unless I wanted to play until the day I die). Second, I do a lot of things away from home. And even though I have a pretty tight schedule, I still want to play games just to relieve stress, making mobile games the best solution for my cravings to play games. Third, it's pretty hard for new prospect developers to penetrate through an industry where giants have already set foot on. Unlike in mobile gaming, a very simple and unpolished game could earn millions once it fits into the hype.

Moved to a better section. I don't mind that mobiles are overtaking and ending handhelds, I care most about the fact that the mobile games are crappy free to play with lots of in app purchases where you have to wait for hours for something to finish. I'd be fine if the market was something where you pay for a game and just play it normally, like handheld games are/were.

Moved to a better section. I don't mind that mobiles are overtaking and ending handhelds, I care most about the fact that the mobile games are crappy free to play with lots of in app purchases where you have to wait for hours for something to finish. I'd be fine if the market was something where you pay for a game and just play it normally, like handheld games are/were.

As a 90's guy I basically grow up with the change on gaming, hand held console before really is pricey, very expensive for such a small device yet gives so much fun for ever person being able to play outside of their house. honestly mobile games aren't that bad at all, some really have so much details in the graphics, well you can't really expect so much for a free games.

In my opinion, having a balance is the way to go since there are some of us that still want to play on our PS4. It is really surprising that they are now taking out time to invest more on mobile games instead. If there is a balance where the consoles games are promoted more, it is going to be real nice as well.

I never get to try gaming consoles because first, consoles are damn pricey (and it's not worth the investment unless I wanted to play until the day I die). Second, I do a lot of things away from home. And even though I have a pretty tight schedule, I still want to play games just to relieve stress, making mobile games the best solution for my cravings to play games. Third, it's pretty hard for new prospect developers to penetrate through an industry where giants have already set foot on. Unlike in mobile gaming, a very simple and unpolished game could earn millions once it fits into the hype.

You've got a point as well in the sense that game developers are trying as much as they could to make everything very easy with mobile games. However, I am going to be glad if there should be a way those improvements are made on console games as well.

Time determines what sells and what does not. About 5 or 6 years, hand held gaming devices were so popular that every Tom, Dick and Harry would want to own a hand held gaming devices. When smartphones became popular and within the reach of every one, people started spending more time on theri mobile devices rather than hand held gaming devices. If the game developers want to penetrate the current marketm they should develop games for mobile devices. They should even focus on making theri games free.

I would accept phones as gaming devises when they get physical buttons. Much like the Xperia Play, unfortunately we got no successor for it. Even the Razer phone is a dud. The Asus ROG phone seems promising but the buttons and sticks are still a bulky accessory which you can't carry every where.

I would accept phones as gaming devises when they get physical buttons. Much like the Xperia Play, unfortunately we got no successor for it. Even the Razer phone is a dud. The Asus ROG phone seems promising but the buttons and sticks are still a bulky accessory which you can't carry every where.

The Asus ROG is cool, I'm okay with the bulky accessory because it's still easy to carry. But the problem is no matter how good that device is android still lack worthy games.

The Asus ROG is cool, I'm okay with the bulky accessory because it's still easy to carry. But the problem is no matter how good that device is android still lack worthy games.
Fair point!

You've got a point as well in the sense that game developers are trying as much as they could to make everything very easy with mobile games. However, I am going to be glad if there should be a way those improvements are made on console games as well.
Improvement such as?

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing games on a smartphone or tablet can enjoyable since there are many classic console games like Crazy Taxi, Final Fantasy 3, Bards Tale, Grand Theft Auto 3, and mobile exclusive games like Asphalt 8, Pokemon Go, Clash of Clans which can be fun to play with a physical controller.

Older handheld games from older handheld generations not being backwards compatible with newer handheld makes handheld less worth it. It is annoying that a lot of handhelds like the Vita can't play PSP games, and the newer 3DS can't play Gameboy and DS games. The Switch also can't play Wii U games. At least with a mobile game, you can keep playing the same game on many smartphones with different versions of Android, or you can use a PC or older Android phone to keep playing the mobile game if the game is not compatible with newer versions of Android.

But, those in-game purchases, paid DLC, and expansion packs can make mobile gaming frustrating. I think many people will be willing to pay a few dollars to buy a game, and not needing to spend more money for the game to be enjoyable.

I think once there is a Windows 10 PC hybrid Smartphone which can run Steam, and games from Gog at an acceptable speed and 1080P video resolution, more people will play games on a smartphone with a controller.

Yes, but I can emulate older games on it. That was my main reason for getting the Play.

I have never owned gaming console. I play on my hand held device. If I can play nice games on my mobile devices, why should I bother to buy any gaming device?

I actually still see quite a lot of people playing on their New 3DS, New 2DS, 3DS, PS Vita, or PSP in public.
Either on the train, or while waiting in a queue, but seeing people do multiplayer in restaurants is quite a common sight too.

iOS and Android phones are popular too for gaming, as well as tablets with these OS's are.

Nintendo Switch isn't really used that often in public though.

We have to accept change and in some ways it's a good thing although I remember in the 80s playing Tetris on my son's Game Boy. It really was every child's dream to own one of these back then. What a long way we've come since then.

It seems a lot of people these days are using their smartphones, tablets, and Chromebooks to play Fortnite, PUBG/Player Unknown Battleground, Roblox and Clash Royale. I don't see many people taking out a handheld to play games these days, and I rarely hear about people talk about PSP Vita, and 3DS games unless I am a gaming forum and blog where more people talk about Handheld games.

It seems a lot of people these days are using their smartphones, tablets, and Chromebooks to play Fortnite, PUBG/Player Unknown Battleground, Roblox and Clash Royale. I don't see many people taking out a handheld to play games these days, and I rarely hear about people talk about PSP Vita, and 3DS games unless I am a gaming forum and blog where more people talk about Handheld games.
I'm not sure, but Fortnite is not available on Linux nor it's playable via Wine, nor it's in the Chrome Web Store.
Same goes for the other games, except I'm not sure whether they're playable via Wine or not.

One of these days I'll setup a mobile player on my laptop to play games.

Back