Moonlight wins Best Picture at the 2017 Oscars after La La Land announcement screw-up

Danielx64

Credits
Moonlight wins Best Picture at the 2017 Oscars after La La Land announcement screw-up

Damien Chazelle’s La La Land landed the Oscar for Best Picture at the 89th Academy Awards, except it didn't, as the award presenters read out the wrong winner.

Barry Jenkins' Moonlight was in fact given the accolade, in an unbelievably surreal piece of television and probably the most dramatic moment in Oscars history.

Presenters Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty announced La La Land as the winner of the night's biggest award, with cast and crew flooding the stage.

Producer Jordan Horowitz launched into an acceptance speech, getting quite far into it, before the truth slowly spread through the gaggle of people on the podium.

Horowitz then began insisting that Moonlight won Best Picture, and many assumed he was trying to be self-effacing and respectful by passing the award onto Jenkins' picture.

But no, Beatty stepped forward to explain that he had been handed the wrong envelope - the one that revealed Emma Stone had won Best Actress for La La Land.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really though instead of reading the name out, something should have been said so that there are no awkward moments.

They don't give out many awards do they?

The worst part of the whole incident was Kimmel's ridiculous attempt to lighten up the situation by mentioning Steve Harvey... Like, that was completely unrelated...

The worst part of the whole incident was Kimmel's ridiculous attempt to lighten up the situation by mentioning Steve Harvey... Like, that was completely unrelated...
Not really. I thought about Steve Harvey too I heard this happened. I mean he said the name of the wrong woman who won Miss Whatever just like that guy said the wrong movie.

Not really. I thought about Steve Harvey too I heard this happened. I mean he said the name of the wrong woman who won Miss Whatever just like that guy said the wrong movie.
I know that, but how was he to blame for what happened at the Oscars...?

That's like slipping on ice and breaking your leg, and blaming your friend because he also slipped on ice and broke his leg last year.

Back