froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Today, Mozilla revealed that it will no longer develop or sell Firefox OS smartphones and devices, ending a two and a half year effort to break into the low-end smartphone world. The news was originally announced at a developer event and Mozilla later confirmed it to TechCrunch.

Read More

It is disappointing that Mozilla stop working on Firefox OS.

They should just focus on their browser to keep it the best. Do you they still have the email client? Thunder bird I think it was called.

They should just focus on their browser to keep it the best. Do you they still have the email client? Thunder bird I think it was called.

I heard Thunderbird got discontinued, but Firefox probably still release security updates for it.

Oh, this sucks. I remember how excited they seemed about it when it was first launched. They had plans to make a tablet too.

It is too bad Firefox never released the tablet since it look kind of interesting, and may have a strong fanbase since there are probably some people who want to use an alternative tablet operating system to browse the web, and use Firefox extensions and Web Apps which can be slow on Android, and older iPhones. Google Chrome for Android, and iOS also still does not support extensions, and web apps like Firefox mobile web browser.

Mozilla has several open source sectors out which are doing good side by side, The Phone OS was kinda pointless as Android /Ubuntu/Windows etc where in the market already.
Not a surprise, after their MOSS announcement.

I think Firefox OS was not pointless when Android phones cost $200 or more, and Firefox OS can run on cheaper and slower smartphones in the past.

But, there are now more $100 and cheaper Android smartphones which would make more poor people pick Android instead of the Firefox phone because Android phones are now more affordable, and have more apps.

The iPhone like the iPhone 5C and 4S are also more affordable, so more people are buying older iPhones as well.

The iPhone 4S is pretty much obsolete nowadays. I don't think Apple still provides software updates for it.

The iPhone 4S is old, but it still can be used to run most Apps like social networking apps, web browser, and games which can run on the 4S older hardware. iOS 9 was released 3 months ago to the iPhone 4S, and other iPhones according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_9

Back