Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

Graphic artist Nicholas Caballero, of Paraguay, noted on Twitter Wednesday that the anthropomorphic Ms. Pac-Man appearing in 1984’s Pac-Land is instead what Bandai Namco calls Pac-Mom: She wears a pink hat, gloves, and heels instead of a red bow, orange gloves, and red boots. Baby Pac has been palette-swapped, for good measure, replacing her bow with a flower and removing her pacifier.

Why is that? Back in 2019, when Bandai Namco sued AtGames, the makers of throwback mini-consoles and arcade cabinets, whose work on a 2016 Genesis/Mega Drive for Sega didn’t win them any friends. Among other things, Bandai Namco alleged that AtGames had interfered in the publisher’s negotiations with Ms. Pac-Man’s original creators — a group of seven MIT classmates calling themselves General Computer Corporation — to buy out their royalty rights.

Lo and behold, AtGames itself ended up buying that royalty interest, meaning that, going forward, if Bandai Namco released anything with Ms. Pac-Man (or Baby Pac) in it, it would owe residuals to AtGames, the people they were now suing. (Note: These rights are to be paid whenever the work is used; Bandai Namco still has full ownership and control of Ms. Pac-Man as an intellectual property, and can unilaterally make any product including her.)

Bandai Namco alleged some other unauthorized uses of their intellectual property; AtGames said Bandai Namco was punishing it for a private deal with rights-holders who weren’t happy Bandai Namco weren’t making anything with Ms. Pac-Man in it. The lawsuit was settled in November 2020, but AtGames still owns the royalty interest in Ms. Pac-Man.

Time for Pac-Dad next lol

Oh no, Mz. Pac is now as the fans say, a milf nooooo..... :shock:

I know they are a family in all since I've seen the cutscenes to Pac-Man World but I thought she would be more of the type to endlessly run away from ghosts (which might as well be her past exes). Now they have to go and rename all the cabinets and rebrand the entire catalog she appears in. I feel like this is what Namco gets for buying what was essentially a fan game for-profit and... milking it.

Oh no, Mz. Pac is now as the fans say, a milf nooooo..... :shock:

I know they are a family in all since I've seen the cutscenes to Pac-Man World but I thought she would be more of the type to endlessly run away from ghosts (which might as well be her past exes). Now they have to go and rename all the cabinets and rebrand the entire catalog she appears in. I feel like this is what Namco gets for buying what was essentially a fan game for-profit and... milking it.

I don't think they are going that far with the rebranding.

Back