Switch My Initial Thoughts on... Super Mario Odyssey

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Note that this isn’t a review, since a full review can’t be written until I’ve at least experienced all the Kingdoms in the game. Instead, these are my thoughts on the game as of my current save progress (aka partway through the Luncheon Kingdom).

The Good

Graphically, Super Mario Odyssey looks fantastic. Sure it varies a bit based on the kingdom (New Donk City and Bubblaine look a million times better than the Nimbus Arena or Cascade Kingdom), but generally it does look exactly how you’d want a 3D Mario game to look on a HD console.

Level design wise, it’s incredible. Every kingdom so far has been absolutely massive, with tons of things to do and Moons to find in hard to reach locations. It’s especially neat how well the game ‘tricks’ you into thinking the levels are tiny; each one can seemingly be fully explored in just a few minutes before you realise you’re missing 90% of the Moons in the level.

Cappy feels like a completely natural part of the game. Indeed, it’s like the wall merging in Zelda A Link Between Worlds; it’s been worked into the world design so well that you don’t even notice it as a ‘gimmick’.

Similarly, capturing enemies works exactly as well as you’d imagine. Just toss the hat (after knocking their own off first), then take control of them with a set of abilities that perfectly matches their appearance.

Surprisingly, the quality of the bosses is actually quite good this time around. Yeah, they won’t give Dark Souls or even a good Zelda game a run for its money, and they don’t compare with Cuphead’s fights in either difficulty or general intricacy, but for a Mario game? They’re actually pretty damn good. Much better than Mario 64’s, that’s for sure!

Character customisation wise it’s good too, with tons of costumes to buy throughout the game. Add how you can mix and match them for absurd combos (cowboy hat + swim trunks is hilarious), and it means you’ve got some truly ‘special’ setups for exploring the kingdoms.

The sheer amount of content will keep you playing for weeks. I mean, there are apparently more Power Moons here than there were Korok Seeds in Zelda Breath of the Wild!

The Bad

Musically, I have to admit I’m not all that impressed by it. Jump Up Super Star is great and the Cascade Kingdom theme is great, but a lot of the other kingdom songs seem a bit… meh if you ask me. They’re not annoying or anything, they just don’t stand out as well as in 64 or Galaxy.

Maybe technical limitations weren’t such a bad thing after all. They meant that music in games had to really stand out and be memorable, rather than just act like inoffensive background sounds.

It also doesn’t feel difficult enough at the moment either. Again, I’m still not done with the game, so I’m not gonna say it’ll never get hard (the Darkest Side of the Moon looks utterly brutal), but so far I’ve basically walked all over every challenge I’ve encountered. Every bit of platforming, every boss battle, ever puzzle… it’s just been so simple to solve that it makes me miss the harder parts of Sunshine and the second Galaxy game.

Still, I won’t be too harsh here. Super Mario 64 itself wasn’t too difficult, and any opinions on the contrary are usually based on our experiences playing as a child (where we utterly sucked at video games in general). Same goes with most of Sunshine, the first Galaxy game, 3D Land and most of 3D World. None are really challenging in the slightest, but at the same time I do feel they maybe should have increased the difficulty of the games to match the growing skill levels of modern gamers in general.

Power Moons also sometimes feel a bit too ‘trivial’ in how you get them. Again, it’s not a new issue (Mario 64 had you get some simply by opening boxes in odd locations, and Sunshine had you spray gold birds, shine symbols and the sun for others), but it feels like it’s a bit more exaggerated here. Now every part of what would have been a bigger mission gives you a separate Moon, many Moons are placed in areas you’ll bump into them by accident and a larger percentage in general seem to be tied to simple treasure hunt setups. It makes them feel less ‘valuable’ than the Stars or Shine Sprites before them.

Finally, I’m not a fan of the timers placed on the capture mechanics at all. I mean, you can immediately leave whatever you’re possessing with the click of a button, do you really need to automatically boot the player out after about 10 minutes as well? It just feels a bit arbitrary if you ask me.

But yeah, those are my thoughts on the game. It’s certainly a great experience, and it’s a million miles better than the last few 3D Mario games I’ve played, but I’ll need to try more of it before I can really say it’s better than Mario 64 or the first Galaxy title.

So what about you? What do you think about Super Mario Odyssey now you’ve played it for yourself?

I'm still enjoying the game so far.
To me, this game feels more like a happier version of 3D Zelda games, but with just temples.

And I'm missing the moon count in each country, especially given the fact that each country has a different amount of moons.
So you often keep wasting lots of time looking for a moon you've probably missed somewhere, just to find out you've got them all already!
(・_・)

I'm still enjoying the game so far.
To me, this game feels more like a happier version of 3D Zelda games, but with just temples.

And I'm missing the moon count in each country, especially given the fact that each country has a different amount of moons.
So you often keep wasting lots of time looking for a moon you've probably missed somewhere, just to find out you've got them all already!
(・_・)

Well, the Moon count does exist on the list screen for each kingdom, as well as the map/tourist brochure. So if you press -, you can see it.

However, it would be nice if it was a bit more visible. Same with the total number of Moons you've gotten throughout the game. I'd love to be able to see at a glance that say, I've reached 200 Moons.

Okay, so I've now beat the main story and am onto the postgame. I'll give Nintendo credit now, the difficulty does increase a bit in the last few main kingdoms, with the Luncheon and Moon Kingdom having some tricky platforming and the last few bosses being a tad more difficult if you're not prepared for them (like the giant dragon and Broodal mecha).

The Mushroom Kingdom is done quite well too. It's much like Mario 64's hub, except about two or three times as big. Neat to see.

Other things I like from the postgame are the sound test (hooray, Nintendo actually put one of these in a Mario platformer now!), the boss rebattle options, the extra Moons added to each kingdom and the fact Peach and Tiara visit all the kingdoms Mario went to themselves. Oh, and Yoshi. That's cool too.

Oh, and Bowser's Kingdom look/felt great. Can't complain about that one either.

so what do you mean here:

Just toss the hat (after knocking their own off first), then take control of them with a set of abilities

You have to knock off their hats before you can capture them?

So what do you mean by the Mushroom kingdom hub is bigger? Like just the outside of the castle or is everything in SM64 in the castle plus more? Which if I remember right the castle hub is just to redo past boss fights? Nothing else new?

so what do you mean here:

Just toss the hat (after knocking their own off first), then take control of them with a set of abilities

You have to knock off their hats before you can capture them?

So what do you mean by the Mushroom kingdom hub is bigger? Like just the outside of the castle or is everything in SM64 in the castle plus more? Which if I remember right the castle hub is just to redo past boss fights? Nothing else new?

Enemies wear hats in this game, likely to stop you possessing them so easily. So you'll need to knock off the hat by hitting them with your own before you can capture them.

And well, I mean it's bigger than the outside of the castle was. Don't go inside much, though there is a version of that courtyard from Mario 64 with the exact same tree designs, textures and everything.

Enemies wear hats in this game, likely to stop you possessing them so easily. So you'll need to knock off the hat by hitting them with your own before you can capture them.
Knocking off the hat first and then possessing them is only a fraction of a second slower than possessing them right away, so it makes no difference at all.

Knocking off the hat first and then possessing them is only a fraction of a second slower than possessing them right away, so it makes no difference at all.

I know. Just explaining the hat point.

(Though I think there's one enemy in the Wooded Kingdom you probably won't be able to capture because of the hat thing. You know the one).

640 odd Moons now, may as well mention a few more things I've noticed:

1. Some of these Moon locations are a little questionable if you ask me. Having you randomly find a glowing spot on the ground or a wall that fades away to reveal a Moon can feel a bit cheap.

2. Also feel a few parts weren't tested 100% well. Left one pipe, then immediately got hit by an enemy that was right next to where Mario appeared afterwards. Also saw some Koopas in a race seemingly jump across lava because their movements were out of sync with the platforms.

3. Bowser has unique text for many of the costumes you may be wearing before the final battle. That's gonna make one hell of a video testing them all out...

4. Jumping on the globe next to the Odyssey plays a music box version of either the Cascade Kingdom theme or Jump Up Super Star. Don't think that's on the sound test unfortunately...

5. Toad tried to sing Jump Up Super Star. God help us all:

Either way, got quite a few articles about this game coming up when I get round to writing them.

Well, the Darker Side of the Moon is now complete. Some quick thoughts on that:

1. The mini boss just ain't worth the hassle there. Not only does the Sphinx also give you a free life up heart later on, but it takes longer to beat the mini boss that it does for a good player to reach the Sphinx midway through the level.

2. Difficulty wise, the challenge level for each segment was really out of whack. Part 1 was fairly easy (with the poles), part 2 was ludicrously easy (rolling stone platforms on lava), part 3 was a pain (Podoboo jumping), part 4 was easy (Uproot platforming), parts 5 and 6 were really easy (icy water section and Yoshi conveyer belt section) as was party 7 (leaf paths). Part 8 was pure memorisation, and not too hard, and nor was the gliding section.

Really, the only truly obnoxious ones were the fork section, the lasers and spiky enemies section and the Pokio bird climbing section. Which meant a lot of replaying a long level because of a few tricky sections way into the stage.

3. That in turn seems to be a problem Nintendo has with these 'gauntlet' levels at the end of Mario platformers. They're not really all that hard as much as they are annoying cause of the lack of checkpoints. The Grandmaster Galaxy was a pain (especially with only one hit point), but that was probably the hardest such level in the series. World S8 Crown, Champion's Road and the Darker Side of the Moon are simply too long, with much of the difficulty seemingly being more about endurance than anything else. I'd rather future stages were simply tougher on the platforming yet about one tenth as long instead.

4. Finally, the reward was interesting enough A cap that makes Mario invisible is certainly a neat bonus, and the NPCs confused reactions are almost worth the trauma alone.

Either way, now just to mop up some remaining Moons in other levels.

It is, though the mini games are getting irritating. Feel it would have been better if stuff like the volleyball (which is annoying with Mario, trivial with Cappy on his own) and the jump rope thing were scrapped altogether.

Will hope to find some glitches in the game at some point too. Other people have found some stuff I've made videos of:

But I want to find something unique that breaks the game wide open.

Back