Switch My thoughts so far.

Porkman

Forum veteran, previously DSU/N3DSC Staff
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Hey there! It's been quite some time since I've posted anything so let's start all over with this. Despite my lack of logging on, I've kept up with nintendo and still play their new releases when they interest me. So the ever elusive Nintendo Switch, what do I think about it?

I've got the neon colored Switch (on launch) and have been terrified of how I handle the joycons and screen when not docked. It's sleek, it looks nice, however the dock is not very well designed. It does its job well enough, but you cannot tell me that nobody at Nintendo didn't think to add some sort of padding for the pieces that hold the Switch screen in place when docked? They're is absolutely no padding in the dock whatsoever and as "professional" developers, this should not have been ignored. They wanted people to undock the console on the fly and regularly, yet there is nothing to keep you from scratching your screen if one mistake is made.

Eh, I love how compact the console is, but it baffles me that they can make this sort of mistake and brush off all the consumer complaints about scratched screens.

Anyway let's get down to the real meat of the console: The games, few as they may be. I'm going to cover them in order of my own personal experience and purchase date.

BreathoftheWildFinalCover.jpg
Breath of the Wild (Launch pickup): Fantastic, I poured hours into that game and loved every second. BUT it clearly wasn't optimized for the console, and was only patched to work better a month after its release. Why they would bother releasing an un optimized game at all is beyond me but Nintendo hasn't been too smart lately so I'll just brush it under the rug. I love this game, its environments, the story, the characters, and just the overall approach this time around. Solid entry that every Switch owner needs to own.

Super_Bomberman_R_%28artwork%29.jpg
Super Bomberman R: This one, hoo boy this one has some of my biggest frustrations with the switch, but don't worry it has a happy ending. I love Bomberman, I always have. This game captures exactly what Bomberman used to be and is a return to formula not seen since the late days of Hudson Soft. So as soon as I begin to play I notice some things.

1: The characters are very slippery leading me to take extra steps and being killed by enemies (which only takes a single hit).

2: The bomberman bros can move in a complete 8 direction axis, regardless of the maze like structures in game. This led to being trapped behind corners when attempting to outrun an enemy.

3. 30 fps. At this point, this is unacceptable. No excuses.

4. Most unforgiving Bomberman game I have ever played. Boss Ai was outrageous and could not be fooled into death unless you died with them. Many complained about this.

I was pretty unhappy with this one and kind of stopped playing altogether as I could not beat the first world with the entire game working against me. but by the grace of an unknown light, Konami went out of their way to release a patch that fixed character controls and overall gameplay with more to come. "Sweet!" After the update controls were smooth and although the game was still very difficult, I was able to complete the game. A few weeks later the game would be later updated again fixing enemy difficulty, adjusting controls yet again, fixing camera issues and of all thing bumping up the framerate to a solid 60fps. The game plays and looks great now. It has great Saturday morning cartoon humor and a fun online mode (which still needs work in the form of latency). Overall this is a great game in my opinion that I highly recommend for Bomberman fans. Though, it doesn't have much content yet. Konami is still releasing free dlc, however.

Puyo_Puyo_Tetris_NA-EU_Cover.jpg
Puy Puyo Tetris: Not much I can say about this one. It's colorful, charming, fast paced and a blast with friends. It's fairly cheap $40 ($30 digital) and has a lot of modes to SWITCH between. I'd probably recommend this to long time fans of the japanese Puyo series. Character portrait art is similar to that of Super Bomberman R and it's great. Super Charming.

250px-MK8_Deluxe_-_Box_NA.png
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: I was anticipating this game since the Switch launched. First off, this should have been a launch title, Nintendo what's the deal? Secondly, boy does this game have content. If you missed out on Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U then buckle up because this game is going to be one hell of a treat. It has a few more character than it's WiiU counterpart and a returning proper battle mode. There's also the addition of double items which some love and other despise. So you would think a port of one of the WiiU's strongest titles would hold up nicely? Well the short answer is : it doesn't as of yet. See, the online mode, which is where most are gonna get the most bang for their buck, is so poorly optimized that you're going to be having a harder time connecting to friends than with the actual races. Joining a random worldwide race alone will yield a better experience with only few connection issues every few races. Trying to join a friend is a nightmare returning from the release month of MK7 (was later fixed). You can only join a friend if there is room in the lobby (of course) but the kicker is that you can only spectate the race (in wait to join) if the people already spectating do not exceed 12 racers. Before this was rectified with continuous spectating until room was available. This game even gives you the option to now easily quit when spectating, though it's pretty much useless seeing how you'll likely NEVER spectate a race trying to join a group of friends, meaning joining that race at all will be an uphill battle.

tl;dr This game is easily the best Mario Kart in a while. Online mode needs work. Still worth every penny.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the few games that I own but am not going to be willing to pay for their online services if issues are not fixed (btw I run 100Mb download speeds, speeds aren't the issue) and at this point feel as if nintendo is playing the ignorant card knowing full well the issues that are holding back some already great games. Let's hope we'll get updates fixing the rest of these issues like Konami did with Super Bomberman R. I really want to believe we'll get some great games and am looking forward to the release of Super Mario Odyssey, and less remakes/ ports of existing games but that's a discussion for another day.

Last edited:
Thanks for making this very detailed post. Yeah the Switch is a good console, but I think I'll wait for an updated version (that has padding) before getting it.

For Breath of the Wild, I think I'm going to get the Wii U version since the game was made for that before the Switch.

Sad to hear SBR isn't up to snuff, I love to play another game that is like Super Bomberman 2.

No prob. I know it does sound a bit ranty but as a long time fan, I feel the need to be critical with Nintendo.
Luckily, if you want something like Super Bomberman 2 you're in luck as SBR is like a reboot/continuation of that game in the story/gameplay department. The recent updates have vastly improved the game, honestly. Contrary to my complaints I really love the game as only one issue remains with the game and that's the online having some, now minor; connection hiccups.

As for the padding thing on the switch dock, most people won't get scratched screens (I haven't) but I do see what is causing it for others and it being an issue for younger players. At the moment, waiting is fine. Getting a hold of a switch is a mission within itself at the moment, anyhow.

I think Nintendo discovered that the scratched screens are a result of a manufacturing defect in a small portion of the launch units. I was worried too and got a glass screen protector for my Switch, no scratches on it!

As far as Zelda goes, I think that was their only big ticket item to sell the Switch. They probably could have flipped it with MK8D, but the launch wouldn't have been as well covered and publiscized.

I agree that I haven't seen anything yet that would convince me to pay for their online service.

What accessories did you buy with your Switch? I had a lot of trade in credit with GameStop so I ended up grabbing two pro controllers (1 was used) and a nice backpack.

I didn't buy any extra accessories yet. I wanna get one of those tempered glass protectors but heard that they are prone to melting in the dock. I've luckily had no issues with my Switch. Also regarding Mario Kart in this post, an update was just released today partially fixing the spectate friend issue.

That should be impossible. For the system to get hot enough to melt tempered glass, the dock would have already turned to ash. My guess is they are plastic screen protectors sold as tempered glass.

I'll have to buy one then. And actually I do own a Pro controller. That slipped my mind for what ever reason.

Thank you for your post. I was wondering how people are liking the Switch since it came out in March. I'm waiting to see what other games come out for this console before I purchase one. By doing so, I'm also letting them get all the bugs worked out as well.

Back