Network attached storage

VirusZero

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Recently I've been looking at a Network Attached Storage System (NAS) for my home so I can have all my files stored in a central location and so multiple people can access it easily. (No more having to pass around a hard drive.)
So I've been looking at 2 relatively well known ones...
A Synology DS216J ($240) and Qnap TS-231P ($265). Both seem pretty good in different ways.
I like the Qnap's hotswap option (remove a drive without powering the system down), faster CPU and more RAM. But Synology's offering has a much wider range of protocols it can use and seems to have a better operating system on tap.
(Note - with either option I'm putting in 2 WD Red 4TB drives in a raid 1 configuration.)

Or do I take a price jump and go up to the Qnap TS-251 ($384) or Synology DS216+II ($425 right now)?

So then... any recommendations here? And ho how many of you have some kind of NAS?
What brand of NAS do you use?

Last edited:
We have the same router right? Can't you plug a USB into it and turn that into your network file hub?

Though looking at what you have listed, you're looking at setting up a file server of some kind?

We have the same router right? Can't you plug a USB into it and turn that into your network file hub?

Though looking at what you have listed, you're looking at setting up a file server of some kind?
While routers has USB ports on then, they are not as good as having a proper NAS server. Having a NAS server mean that not only you can store files but can have content going to your TV, downloading torrents etc.

I think it can be a security risk connecting hard drives to the USB port on routers since the router firmware is rarely updated compared to Server and Desktop operating system. Router maybe more likely to have unknown security problems if the company does not care as much about security like antivirus, firewall, and PC/Server operating software where security problems are fixed more often depending on the OS and firmware makers.

Some Home NAS Servers may have weaker security compared to a traditional server which uses an OS like Debian, Cent OS, Ubuntu, and Windows Server 2016 which has weekly and monthly security updates, and allow you to install a third-party firewall software, and antivirus program, and change settings to make it more secure.

I don't really own that router anymore (I moved and it stayed behind) so I kinda can't just use the usb port option. Though it's not much of a security risk because most routers (especially higher end ones) have firewalls built in which make connecting to them pretty tough. In many cases to even actually access a drive connected to it you'd need to be connected to the router's network itself. (Unless you'd set it up to allow connections from outside the router of course.)

I want a NAS for a few reasons:

1- I want to collect all my media files in one place so I can access them no matter which device I'm on. (Whether I'm on my main gaming laptop, my small work laptop, my PS4 or phone.)

2- I want to be able to share my media files with my roommates so they can access the drive without having to use my computer or borrow an external hard drive.

3- I want to run a Raid 1 set up with one drive mirroring the other to protect my data.

I think it can be a security risk connecting hard drives to the USB port on routers since the router firmware is rarely updated compared to Server and Desktop operating system. Router maybe more likely to have unknown security problems if the company does not care as much about security like antivirus, firewall, and PC/Server operating software where security problems are fixed more often depending on the OS and firmware makers.

Some Home NAS Servers may have weaker security compared to a traditional server which uses an OS like Debian, Cent OS, Ubuntu, and Windows Server 2016 which has weekly and monthly security updates, and allow you to install a third-party firewall software, and antivirus program, and change settings to make it more secure.

I think there is any risk when you put your files out on anywhere but a secured flash/hard drive.

I think there is any risk when you put your files out on anywhere but a secured flash/hard drive.

Putting files on a desktop computer which is not connected to the internet can be safe as well if you use a lot of security software like Antivirus, antimalware, and strong file encryption, and a long and strong password to protect your encrypted files.

Putting files on a desktop computer which is not connected to the internet can be safe as well if you use a lot of security software like Antivirus, antimalware, and strong file encryption, and a long and strong password to protect your encrypted files.

unless said PC can be accessed by anyone offline without password.

unless said PC can be accessed by anyone offline without password.

Most personal files like PDF, MS Office files, and Zip files can be password protected with strong file encryption which is built-into the program, or with a 3rd-party file encryption program.

The built-in Windows File Bitlocker encryption is not built-into most versions of Windows except for Windows Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate. Windows File Encryption Bitlocker file encryption maybe easier to hack than other forms of stronger file encryption which you can use with dedicated file encryption programs.

I think the operating system passwords are not very good because you can sometimes very easily recover them with hacking programs, or hacking the person's outlook account in Windows 10 which uses the Outlook.com password as the login password. People also pick short and easy passwords for logging into their computer.

Back