Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from den of geek and cbr

ThunderCats are on the mov(i)e! After years of false starts and announcements that didn’t go anywhere, it seems that the beloved ‘80s cartoon has a giant sized champion behind it. Adam Wingard, director of Godzilla vs. Kong, is working on a ThunderCats film that will be a hybrid live action/CGI movie. Wingard will direct the ThunderCats movie and co-write the script.

"I will say this, our ThunderCats adaptation is going to be really, really cool. I don't think people are at all prepared for how long Adam Wingard has spent thinking about ThunderCats," Barrett said.

ThunderCats is a dream project for me. When I was in high school, I was obsessed with it," he said. "I was writing my ThunderCats screenplay through my entire tenth grade year. And I was hand writing it. The screenplay itself ended up being 272 pages long. I still have it. It was one of those things where I would carry around my notebooks and talk about it.

I don’t want to reinvent the way they look; I want them to look like Thundercats,” Wingard said. “I want to do a movie you’ve never seen before: A hybrid CGI film that has a hyper-real look and somehow bridges the gap between cartoon and CGI. That’s the starting point.”

As long as they get this part right:

Then they can do no wrong (that's everything from the chant, the laugh to the evil spirits)

Also I hate how they are saying they will do this perfect, just like how the people behind the 2011 cartoon said the same thing and ended up being canceled.

As long as they get this part right:

Then they can do no wrong (that's everything from the chant, the laugh to the evil spirits)

Also I hate how they are saying they will do this perfect, just like how the people behind the 2011 cartoon said the same thing and ended up being canceled.

Indeed Mumm-Ra is important!

Well the dirctor of the failed 2011 cartoon was not a hardcore fan of the original cartoon, he only started to watch it when he was assigned by WB to do the 2011 cartoon while this time the director is a true fan of the original cartoon so should be fine now...

Not a fan of the 2011 one because of what they did with Cheetara, making her "playing around" with Lion-O and then pinning over Tygra over a flower meh. And also what they did with Pumyra meh. If you can't write a good ship then don't do it.

Last edited:
I remember watching this cartoon as a kid. I wouldn't mind checking the movie out when it's released but I'd probably watch it at home. I fear there would be too many children at the movie and I wouldn't get to enjoy it as much as I would if I watched it at home.

Indeed Mumm-Ra is important!

Well the dirctor of the failed 2011 cartoon was not a hardcore fan of the original cartoon, he only started to watch it when he was assigned by WB to do the 2011 cartoon while this time the director is a true fan of the original cartoon so should be fine now...

Not a fan of the 2011 one because of what they did with Cheetara, making her "playing around" with Lion-O and then pinning over Tygra over a flower meh. And also what they did with Pumyra meh. If you can't write a good ship then don't do it.

Then they talked a really big game, I mean back then they had interview upon interview of how well they knew the Thundercats and were going to show it justice. Sad thing was it was getting good when canned. But I believe it, mummra riding in a tank? Way out of character.

I remember watching this cartoon as a kid. I wouldn't mind checking the movie out when it's released but I'd probably watch it at home. I fear there would be too many children at the movie and I wouldn't get to enjoy it as much as I would if I watched it at home.

The key is to go early or way late.

Reactions: cm2
Read an update from CBR and others, sounds promising:

Despite the transition from classic animation to live-action, Adam Wingard's ThunderCats reboot will be staying as faithful as possible to the classic cartoon show from the 1980s.

It was previously reported that Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire director Adam Wingard would be helming a live-action adaptation of ThunderCats. In a new interview with Screen Rant, the filmmaker commented on the vision he has planned for the movie. He confirmed that his goal is to make the film look like the 80s cartoon brought to life, which means using the exact same costumes without any concern about what's more "realistic" in a live-action world.

"My version is going to be 100% the ’80’s version," Wingard said. "I’ve seen the rebooted anime one, but if I’m honest, the '80s one that’s what ThunderCats is to me, and that’s what I’d be creating. When I was in high school, I was so into ThunderCats that I wrote this 270-something-page screenplay, like hand-written screenplay on it. It was my biggest dream growing up, to make a ThunderCats movie, and so, here I am with the ability to actually do that. I’m still kind of fulfilling that dream."

He added, "When that dream started, it was well before the anime version, so that’s why. That’s what I know, and that’s the vibe. I’m trying to do it, and if ThunderCats ends up happening, which I hope it does, my version, I’d want to bring to life the exact designs from the ’80s version. I want the looks of them; I don’t want it to be like, okay, it’s the movie, so you got to make them look more realistic somehow. It’s like, 'No, no, no, no.' I want to bring the cartoon and toys to life. I want to see the exact costumes and everything."

Read an update from CBR and others, sounds promising:

Despite the transition from classic animation to live-action, Adam Wingard's ThunderCats reboot will be staying as faithful as possible to the classic cartoon show from the 1980s.

It was previously reported that Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire director Adam Wingard would be helming a live-action adaptation of ThunderCats. In a new interview with Screen Rant, the filmmaker commented on the vision he has planned for the movie. He confirmed that his goal is to make the film look like the 80s cartoon brought to life, which means using the exact same costumes without any concern about what's more "realistic" in a live-action world.

"My version is going to be 100% the ’80’s version," Wingard said. "I’ve seen the rebooted anime one, but if I’m honest, the '80s one that’s what ThunderCats is to me, and that’s what I’d be creating. When I was in high school, I was so into ThunderCats that I wrote this 270-something-page screenplay, like hand-written screenplay on it. It was my biggest dream growing up, to make a ThunderCats movie, and so, here I am with the ability to actually do that. I’m still kind of fulfilling that dream."

He added, "When that dream started, it was well before the anime version, so that’s why. That’s what I know, and that’s the vibe. I’m trying to do it, and if ThunderCats ends up happening, which I hope it does, my version, I’d want to bring to life the exact designs from the ’80s version. I want the looks of them; I don’t want it to be like, okay, it’s the movie, so you got to make them look more realistic somehow. It’s like, 'No, no, no, no.' I want to bring the cartoon and toys to life. I want to see the exact costumes and everything."

Classic animation to live action?

I used to watch it as a kid and I always wanted his sword, lol. I hope its going to be as good or better than the 80s cartoon. I will be checking it out either way.

Back