froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
All next-generation processors built by Intel, AMD, Qualcomm, or others, will only support Windows 10, Microsoft confirmed in a recent blog post. That means if you buy a PC with these upgraded chips—Intel's "Kaby Lake," Qualcomm's "8996," and AMD's "Bristol Ridge"—they will only run Windows 10; you can't downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1.

"Going forward, as new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support," wrote Microsoft's executive vice president of the Windows and Devices Group, Terry Myerson. "This enables us to focus on deep integration between Windows and the silicon, while maintaining maximum reliability and compatibility with previous generations of platform and silicon."

Read More

I guest, more people will be switching to Linux based operating systems like Ubuntu, Debian, and Linux Mint when they find our their new PC which they build in the future does not work with Windows 7, and they hate the idea of switching to Windows 10 because of personal or usability problems with 10.

Newer CPU's not working with Windows 7 and 8.1 could also cause a lot of people to use older versions of CPUs to build their computer, and also save a little bit of money because older computer parts are usually cheaper.

Oh what BS is this? Clearly some under the table deal going on here. So would these even support Linux?

Also I'll wait for the hacking community to fix this.

People definitely will stick with older CPU. Plus the ones on the market now are pretty good.

My i7 3930k is old and probably can't get it anymore and yet it stills kickass and very good

Oh what BS is this? Clearly some under the table deal going on here. So would these even support Linux?

I think Microsoft does not want to continue to hire workers to make software for Windows 7, so new CPU are compatible with newer CPUs in the future. Plus, MS may think dropping support for newer CPUs on Windows will make more people upgrade to Windows 10.

Newer CPUs will most likely support Linux because Linux is used on a lot of Super computers, web hosting servers, and other types of high performance computers which need to use the fastest and newest CPUs, so the computer works faster at computing. Linux is also free, so volunteers, and other companies can release software to make new CPUs compatible with Linux.

All I am really getting from this article is running these newer CPUs on older Operating Systems will not be supported. So for those running Linux, I do not see any reason to worry. Even if they did come up with a way for a CPU not to run on x OS just because... you know there are programmers that will simply use reverse programming(Could be wrong on the term) to make the CPUs work for things like Linux.

All I am really getting from this article is running these newer CPUs on older Operating Systems will not be supported. So for those running Linux, I do not see any reason to worry. Even if they did come up with a way for a CPU not to run on x OS just because... you know there are programmers that will simply use reverse programming(Could be wrong on the term) to make the CPUs work for things like Linux.

I'm hoping the programmers/hackers can make it so old OS can run on the newer devices.

Back