Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
One of the more maddening aspects of the Xbox 360 has been Microsoft's insistence on a "two model" strategy. A bare-bones, cheap version, and a souped-up expensive one. It's helped shift units, especially since Kinect's release, but it's also held other Xbox 360 games back since developers can't assume everybody has, say, a hard drive.

I'd like nothing more than to see this strategy go away quietly into the night, but according to a report from Digital Foundry, Microsoft is looking at sticking with it for the next Xbox console.

"It's...believed that Microsoft will continue its successful two SKU strategy", the story claimed, "and indeed take it much further with its new platform: a pared down machine is to be released as cheaply as possible, and positioned more along the lines of a set-top box (the use of 360 as a Netflix viewing platform in the US is colossal) and perhaps as a Kinect-themed gaming portal, while a more fully-featured machine with optical drive, hard disk and backward compatibility aimed at the hardcore would be released at a higher price-point."

Interesting. That actually wouldn't be too bad; if only the "hardcore" console had an optical drive, then the "pared down" version would only play Xbox Live Arcade titles, leaving developers of larger, disc-based games free to design for the beefier machine.

source

I like Microsoft two console model. It lets people who can't afford, or barely afford a next-gen console play next gen games without spending as much money by also buying a hard drive.

I think people who like tweaking/hacking their Xbox will prefer two models since some people like making their own Xbox hard drives, or buying cheaper 3rd party Xbox hard drive, or making their own Xbox 360 hard drive from a Hard drive case that they buy from eBay rather then buying the more expensive Xbox official hard drive.

Plus, if your Xbox gets broken, you can just buy the cheaper version of the console, and reuse the hard drive and HDMI cables from your old Xbox instead of buying the more expensive version of the Xbox with a big hard drive, and figuring out how to clone your hard drive.

You can also buy the cheaper model of the Xbox, and buy a used or discounted Xbox hard drive from eBay, friends, or Gamestop, and save some money.

The Expensive one has a hard drive while the cheap one does not have a hard drive, but you can buy the hard drive when you need one, or when you can afford one because of price cuts for the hard drive, or you bought the hard drive used or refurbished from eBay, Amazon, or any other store which sell used Xbox hard drive.

This is a good idea, helpful for people without loads of money to spend. But, being a gamer, I'll have to go for the top console!

Back