Next XBOX Will Sorta Require Internet.

The article talks about Steam installations a lot, but I wonder would Next Xbox games would be as affordable as Steam games.

I think Steam boxes and Ubuntu Linux based Gaming desktops like the $599 Ubuntu Linux Gaming PC made by Dell's Alienware could convince some users to buy a Steambox or a similar PC/box to play Steam games if the Next Xbox cost similar to Steambox.

Well its guranteed now that more people will get the Xbox 720 because many people were worried about the always-online feature rumours that were going around.

Nuke said:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/microsoft-next-xbox-will-work-even-when-your-internet-doesnt/

Microsoft has taken down its online-only thing, and decided that instead of making the next XBOX online-only, they'll require Internet to install the game.

It's still bad for some people, but it's okay now.
What do you guys think should happen. I'm still on the fence about the whole online-only thing or even having to have internet to install a game. A lot of people can't afford the internet still. So what about them ? lol

Wow, this and the fact that you can't really share games is going to make people consider buying something other than the Xbox. Microsoft have really messed this up.

Frankly, I really don't like this idea. I don't see why should I need to have an Internet connection to install a game. I know one of the reasons is trying to prevent piracy; are there any other reasons? Because they better be good to make up for that inconvenience.
I might be a bit harsh, but really, this looks like they don't really care about what gamers want. I don't think that what the majority of us desire is the need to be connected to the Internet to install games.

Daitai said:
Frankly, I really don't like this idea. I don't see why should I need to have an Internet connection to install a game. I know one of the reasons is trying to prevent piracy; are there any other reasons? Because they better be good to make up for that inconvenience.
I might be a bit harsh, but really, this looks like they don't really care about what gamers want. I don't think that what the majority of us desire is the need to be connected to the Internet to install games.
They're trying to block used game sales.

I think Microsoft have got this all wrong and need a serious rethink or they will get hammered by Sony this time.
I do like to play offline for considerable amounts of time, so Microsoft have pushed me into making my next console purchase to be a PS4.
Congrats. 

Okay - so I buy a new game ($60), but it is worthless unless I also have a ($60) subscription to Live and a ($40+) internet connection. So my new games actually cost $160 dollars now - that is awesome. Xboner can go die in a fire - WiiU and PS4 may now have all my monies. Stupid Microsoft and their evilness.

As a longtime Xbox fan, I think this whole used games fiasco just isn't necessary, and it's pivotal in my decision to jump ship. I definitely like that they'll still allow us to play offline after installation, but those are just baby steps in fixing this disaster. 

Esperahol said:
Okay - so I buy a new game ($60), but it is worthless unless I also have a ($60) subscription to Live and a ($40+) internet connection. So my new games actually cost $160 dollars now - that is awesome. Xboner can go die in a fire - WiiU and PS4 may now have all my monies. Stupid Microsoft and their evilness.
I'm definitely not defending Microsoft on this, but I don't think Xbox Live Gold will be required to install the game. 

Esperahol said:
Just for the record, online play requires PS+, now.

However, everything else is free.

BitesizeCrayons said:
I'm definitely not defending Microsoft on this, but I don't think Xbox Live Gold will be required to install the game. 
You need a Live account and if you don't have a Live account... you don't get to play your games. That is a fail whatever the "level" you need to actually own. So yeah.

Nuke said:
Just for the record, online play requires PS+, now.

However, everything else is free.
I know Sony wants to charge for online now, but they are still doing so much better so yeah. They can still have all my monies. All of it.

Back